[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard and Oracle - Possible

J.Holley@massey.ac.nz (John Holley) (01/04/90)

I'm currently trying to implement a database for our School to keep of
our students and their marks etc.

I am using Oracle for the Mac (V 1.1)  (on a Mac II, System 6.0.3, 5 meg) and I
have run into two main problems.

The first is that certain SELECTs and SELECT for UPDATEs issued from
HyperTalk in HyperCard via "execsql" cause a OpenCard message to be
generated and generates new card!

Am I doing something really stupid or has anyone else noted the same
behaviour?

The second problem I am having is connecting the Mac running Oracle to
a Oracle Server on a Sun 3/470. I am using the TCPort software
provided with Oracle for the Mac which allows a Mac to connect via a
gateway to a TCP/IP Oracle Server.

When I try to initiate the connection from within Oracle on the
Mac,the TCP/IP server (orasrv) on the Sun dies. In fact it dies so
completely that even with debugging switched on it provides no more
diagnostics than the fact that the Mac tried to connect to it.

Has anyone seen this behaviour?

Thanx,

John A. Holley                  | J.Holley@massey.ac.nz         : Internet
School of Informations Sciences | J.Holley@nz.ac.massey         : Janet
Massey University               | +64 63 505611                 : Fax
Palmerston North                | +64 63 69099 ext 8616         : Vox
New Zealand                     |  Disclaimer : Sorry! My brain hurts!

cecala@m2.csc.ti.com (Tony Cecala) (01/06/90)

John Holley <195cs-suna@massey.ac.nz> writes:

>The first is that certain SELECTs and SELECT for UPDATEs issued from
>HyperTalk in HyperCard via "execsql" cause a OpenCard message to be
>generated and generates new card!

Problem 1:
John, check your Oracle for Macintosh Reference guide--p. 3-7 lists types
of queries.  Simple queries (3-8) build a 'prototype' card, or copy a prototype
card.  'USING' (3-9) and 'INTO' (3-10) queries do not.

Good luck.
Tony Cecala
User Interface Designer              PO Box 655303, MS 8223, Dallas, TX 75265
Texas Instruments, Inc.              Arpanet: cecala@m2.csc.ti.com
-------------------------            *I speak for me only*