[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] hypercard printing mailing labels

ahlenius@cell.mot.COM (Mark Ahlenius) (01/11/90)

Hi,
I am relatively new to hypercard, and have written
a reservation system in it.  Now that I have fields
with last name, first name, address, etc. I want to
print mailing labels using specific fields from each
card.  In looking at the "Print Report" feature of
hypercard, I can select specific background field names
for printing on labels - however they always are
printed vertically down the label - instead of
printing some of them across the label like below:
	<first name field> <last name field>
	<address field>
	<city field>, <state field>
			<zip field>

So I need to be able for better format my output like
the above example.

One suggestion a friend gave me was to preformat all
these fields to another hidden field on each card
- then print the whole field on each label.

This will work - but is there another easier way
to do this?

	thanks in advance

		'mark

moore@cs.washington.edu (Charles Moore) (01/11/90)

In article <724@granite3.UUCP>, ahlenius@cell.mot.COM (Mark Ahlenius) writes:

>      In looking at the "Print Report" feature of
> hypercard, I can select specific background field names
> for printing on labels - however they always are
> printed vertically down the label - instead of
> printing some of them across the label like below:
> 	<first name field> <last name field>
> 	<address field>
> 	<city field>, <state field>
> 			<zip field>
>
> So I need to be able for better format my output like
> the above example.

There is a set of scripts and XCMD's called "Reports" or "Reports for
Hypercard" that is sold (I think) by Activision.  It provides much-
improved abilities to design customized reports from Hypercard stacks.
I've worked with it some and it can definately handle your problem.

Charles Moore
University of Washington