[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Ways to improve Hypercard

markr@studsys.mu.edu (rodenkirch) (01/08/90)

There are three ways that I think Hypercard should be improved.  I don't
know if anything has said this but I hope Apple might change it.

1)  Allow one to use commands in the Edit menu when editing scripts.

2)  When Copying and Pasting fields, have an option to copy text inside
    the field too.

3)  Allow the user to use Hide and Show with fields that don't have to
    be in the background.

Anyone else have any ideas?

stadler@Apple.COM (Andy Stadler) (01/08/90)

In article <732@studsys.mu.edu> markr@studsys.UUCP (rodenkirch) writes:

>There are three ways that I think Hypercard should be improved.  I don't
>know if anything has said this but I hope Apple might change it.
>
>1)  Allow one to use commands in the Edit menu when editing scripts.
>
>2)  When Copying and Pasting fields, have an option to copy text inside
>    the field too.
>
>3)  Allow the user to use Hide and Show with fields that don't have to
>    be in the background.

In HyperCard 1.2.2 (not even the most current version) these features all
exist!

(1)  Although you cannot pull down the edit menu, all of the editing command
     keys work:  cmd X,C,V for cut/paste editing.  cmd F,G,H for searching.
     Cmd A selects all.  And Cmd P prints.

(2)  To copy and the text along with the field it came from, press Shift while
     you paste it.

(3)  You can most certainly type "hide card field 1" with no problems.

--Andy      stadler@apple.com

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (01/08/90)

In article <37664@apple.Apple.COM> stadler@Apple.COM (Andy Stadler) writes:
>In HyperCard 1.2.2 (not even the most current version) these features all
>exist!
>
>(1)  Although you cannot pull down the edit menu, all of the editing command
>     keys work:  cmd X,C,V for cut/paste editing.  cmd F,G,H for searching.
>     Cmd A selects all.  And Cmd P prints.

Thanks, Andy.  I kind of wished that you could pull down the edit menu,
too, at first, but it wasn't hard to get used to it.  Is there a reason
that the script editor has to be modal, or couldn't have its own internal
menus?

On a related topic, has anyone tried out Somak's script editor?  I read
a review of it in the latest MacUser, but I don't trust magazine reviews
because I don't think that the reviewers have the time to really get
intimate with a program before they have to review it.
--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

sapg0386@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/15/90)

I wish you could store a piece of data on one card and have it appear
on several others.  When changed on one card, it should change on all cards.

I would like compiled scripts.

I would like table and picture datatypes (in addition to buttons and fields).

I would like to be able to sort on the second word.

I would like an automatic index capability.

I would like to build a complete application as a single stack rather
than as a collection stacks.

Ultimately, I want a video datatype.

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (01/15/90)

In article <226300010@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sapg0386@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I would like to build a complete application as a single stack rather
>than as a collection stacks.

I don't get this.  I have applications that are single stacks.

While we're listing:

	I would like a HyperCard runtime application that allows
	me to install stack data and resources in it and allows me
	to set the icon and other items, resulting in a standalone
	HyperCard program that can be run at the same time as other
	such applications.

	The ability to generate complete standalone applications
	simply is the biggest drawback of the Mac environment.
	Unix shell scripts provide a much better mechanism.
--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce
(408)944-4073
"Baziotes! Baziotes! Getcha red hot Baziotes here!"

dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (01/17/90)

In article <226300010@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sapg0386@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
(lines deleted)
>I would like to be able to sort on the second word.

will this work for what you need?

  sort by second word of first line of field "Name"

there's a button in the address book stack that can easily be pasted
into your own stack that, when clicked on, will ask you if you would
like to sort on the first or second word (of a certain field).  you may
want to look at that.

hope this helps,

daniel

dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu      daniel@ncsuvm.BITNET    d.c.carr, GEnie