[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] hiding menubar running multifinder

Q8N@PSUVM.BITNET (Scott D. Camp) (01/16/90)

This should really be a simple problem, but I have not found a solution for
it.  While running hypercard (1.2.2) under multifinder, I cannot get the
menubar to remain hidden when I return to hypercard from another application.
I have tried to put 'hide menubar' in several handlers, but none of them
seem to work.  (When I launch the stack I have the hide menubar command under
on startUp.  This works fine until I switch out and back to hypercard.)  The
menuBar hides fine (even when switching applications since hypercard actually
closes) when I run under unifinder.

If it matters, I am running on an SE with 2.5 meg of ram.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  If this has been covered
on the new before, I apologize.  I read this group fairly regularly, but
not religiously.

-------
Scott D. Camp
Dept. of Sociology
The Pennsylvania State University
305 Oswald Tower
University Park, PA  16802
814-863-0393

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (01/17/90)

In article <90015.223619Q8N@PSUVM.BITNET> Q8N@PSUVM.BITNET (Scott D. Camp) writes:
>This should really be a simple problem, but I have not found a solution for
>it.  While running hypercard (1.2.2) under multifinder, I cannot get the
>menubar to remain hidden when I return to hypercard from another application.
>I have tried to put 'hide menubar' in several handlers, but none of them
>seem to work.  (When I launch the stack I have the hide menubar command under
>on startUp.  This works fine until I switch out and back to hypercard.)  The
>menuBar hides fine (even when switching applications since hypercard actually
>closes) when I run under unifinder.

It is indeed a simple problem -- it simply lacks a good solution.

The 'resume' message does not function normally under MultiFinder.  To
HyperCard, once you open the application, it remains open; it assumes
that other programs won't get in its way.  Since it never sublaunches
itself out of the machine, it never `suspends' itself, and therefore
never `resumes'.  If it did, you could just put the `hide menuBar'
command in an `on resume' handler.

So there are two things you could do to work around this dilemma:
either put `hide menuBar' in an `on idle' handler, or figure out some
way to coexist with the menu bar.

I'd use an idle handler:

	on idle
	  hide menuBar
	end idle

or

	on idle
	  if the visible of the menuBar is true then hide menuBar
	end idle

I don't know which would be faster.

Good luck!

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |