[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] FTP help

salamon@sun.acs.udel.edu (Andrew Salamon) (01/11/90)

    I have:  Mac Plus
             Red Ryder 9.2
	     Stuffit 1.5.1
             Binhex 5.0

  I have an account on a sun running some unknown (to me) version of
unix.  I have FTPed some files from sumex-aim and I tried to transfer
them to a mac with Red Ryder's Receive file-ASCII function.  However
when I tried unencode the resulting files with stuffit and Binhex it
continually gave me errors like "No check-sum" from binhex and
"unexpected EOF" from stuffit.

Do you have any ideas about what the problem is?  Is there another
communications program (preferably PD/SW) that I should use instead?

Thanks, in advance, for any help anyone can provide on this problem.
--
       **  **                          |   /Andrew/
         /\       HAVE A NICE DAY!     |   self-styled Bleydion op Rhys

rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman) (01/11/90)

In article <6646@sun.acs.udel.edu> salamon@vax1.acs.udel.EDU () writes:
> ... [ftp from sumex] ...
>when I tried unencode the resulting files with stuffit and Binhex it
>continually gave me errors like "No check-sum" from binhex and
>"unexpected EOF" from stuffit.

Two things.  First, strip any text off the top of the files.  Second, use a
text editor to merge the subfiles of a given application into a single file
with no empty lines between the sections.  Be sure to save as text.  Then run
binhex followed by stuffit.

-john
rieman@boulder.colorado.edu
U. of Colorado

ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) (01/12/90)

From article <15525@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, by rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman):

> Two things.  First, strip any text off the top of the files.  Second, use a
> text editor to merge the subfiles of a given application into a single file
> with no empty lines between the sections.  Be sure to save as text.  Then run
> binhex followed by stuffit.

An easier method is to use the "United" shareware application which does
the header/trailer text stripping and file concatenation automagically :-)

				ian
--

                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Computer Systems Superintendent

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (01/17/90)

In article <1382@merlin.bhpmrl.oz>, ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) writes:
> From article <15525@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, by rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman):
> >
> > Two things.  First, strip any text off the top of the files.  Second, use a
>
> An easier method is to use the "United" shareware application which does

I've only had about 30% success with United. It gives some message about
"autoflush" on some files and creates a very broken result. Any ideas?

			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au        |
Webster Computer Corp P/L       | "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd          |  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179               |  approximation"
Australia                       |
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  |      D. Conway