[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Preventing menubar and message box hiding

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (01/02/90)

Is there a way to tell HyperCard to ignore commands for hiding the
menubar and message box?  My screen is large enough to not need
these to be hidden, and I'd prefer not to go in and hack things
like Developer Stack to leave these on the screen.
--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

face@arizona.edu (Chris "Face" Janton) (01/03/90)

In article <1990Jan2.154142.5638@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.sony.com (David
Elliott) writes:
> Is there a way to tell HyperCard to ignore commands for hiding the
> menubar and message box?  My screen is large enough to not need

Here is the code from my Home stack - I can't remember exactly why I did
it this way, but it does the trick

on hide what
  if what = "menubar" then
    put foo into temp
  else if what is in "234" then
    put foo into temp
  else
    pass hide
  end if
end hide

-------------------------------
Chris 'Face' Janton
CCIT
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ  85721
Phone: +1 602 621-6848

cecala@m2.csc.ti.com (Tony Cecala) (01/04/90)

In article <1990Jan2.154142.5638@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>Is there a way to tell HyperCard to ignore commands for hiding the
>menubar and message box?  My screen is large enough to not need
>these to be hidden, and I'd prefer not to go in and hack things
>like Developer Stack to leave these on the screen.
>--
>David Elliott
>dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce
>(408)944-4073
>"But Pee Wee... I don't wanna be the baby!"

Tony Cecala
User Interface Designer              PO Box 655303, MS 8223, Dallas, TX 75265
Texas Instruments, Inc.              Arpanet: cecala@m2.csc.ti.com
-------------------------            *I speak for me only*

In article <104252@ti-csl.csc.ti.com> cecala@m2.csc.ti.com (Tony Cecala) writes:
> <Nothing new, I screwed up.>
Here's the lost document.

In article <1990Jan2.154142.5638@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>Is there a way to tell HyperCard to ignore commands for hiding the
>menubar and message box?  My screen is large enough to not need...
>--
>David Elliott
>dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

David, here's something that you could put in your home stack.  It lets you
command-shift-m to toggle the message box if it should be hidden somehow.
Good luck.

on hide w
  if w="menubar" then put "trapped menubar" into msg
  else pass hide
end hide
on domenu w
  if w="message" and (the shiftKey is up)
  then put "trapped message" into msg
  else pass domenu
end domenu

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (01/05/90)

In article <1297@amethyst.math.arizona.edu> face@arizona.edu (Chris "Face" Janton) writes:
>on hide what
>  if what = "menubar" then
>    put foo into temp
>  else if what is in "234" then
>    put foo into temp
>  else
>    pass hide
>  end if
>end hide

All the solutions I got were similar to the above.

This brings up a fundamental problem.  I get the feeling that I missed
something in my reading.  Is it the case that any command passes a
message that can be trapped for by "on"?  I am guessing this because
there is no "hide" system message documented.

In addition, how does one find the range of arguments sent to these
traps?  That, why is the message box 4, and what are 2 and 3?

BTW, I have the Goodman book, and have decided that this book should
win a prize for the world's lousiest index.  Is there a good reference
book for HyperCard with a really good index?
--

sinton@cantuar.UUCP (Robert J.P. Sinton) (01/18/90)

From article <1990Jan4.200726.6221@smsc.sony.com>, by dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott):

> This brings up a fundamental problem.  I get the feeling that I missed
> something in my reading.  Is it the case that any command passes a
> message that can be trapped for by "on"?  I am guessing this because
> there is no "hide" system message documented.

   A while back I tried (just for fun) this card script:

on add arg1,arg2,arg3
  answer arg1 && "/" && arg2 && "/" && arg3
end add

   In the message box I typed:

put 1 into temp

   and then:

add 1 to temp

   Imagine my surprise when it worked! the answer dialog gave:

1 / to / <container>

   I tried for ages to do something like adding 1 to arg1 so that
"add 1 to temp" when temp was 1 would result in temp having the value 3.
Unfortunately, the third argument is trapped as the string "<container>",
rather than a useable reference to the actual container, so the message
lost its meaning through being intercepted. Very frustrating, it made me
feel that the ability to alter mathematical logic was just beyond my reach :-)

                             ----- Robert

--
Internet: sinton@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz               Robert J.P. Sinton
Telecom:  +64 3 667 001 x6367                             (MSc student)

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (01/19/90)

In article <1472@cantuar.UUCP> sinton@cantuar.UUCP (Robert J.P. Sinton) writes:
>   A while back I tried (just for fun) this card script:
>on add arg1,arg2,arg3
>  answer arg1 && "/" && arg2 && "/" && arg3
>end add
>   In the message box I typed:
>put 1 into temp
>   and then:
>add 1 to temp
>   Imagine my surprise when it worked! the answer dialog gave:
>1 / to / <container>
>
>   I tried for ages to do something like adding 1 to arg1 so that
>"add 1 to temp" when temp was 1 would result in temp having the value 3.
>Unfortunately, the third argument is trapped as the string "<container>",
>rather than a useable reference to the actual container, so the message
>lost its meaning through being intercepted. Very frustrating, it made me
>feel that the ability to alter mathematical logic was just beyond my reach :-)

First of all, having the command `add 1 to arg1' in your `on add'
handler would result in an infinite recursion...  ;)

I've come across that <container> problem before.  Seems to me that I
once tried to trap the `go' command and take special action for
specific destinations, but no matter what I typed after `go', my handler
would always receive the message

	go to <card>

which doesn't help much at all unless I really did type `go to <card>'
(which I didn't).

What's the deal here?  Why isn't my card receiveing the same thing
that the system must be (or else I couldn't `go' anywhere!)?

I can't seem to replicate the problem right now, but I remember
working around it clumsily way back when.

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |