[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Dan Winkler's Video XCMDs

seiler@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ed Seiler) (01/03/90)

  Can anyone tell me where I can find the source to XCMDs written by Dan
Winkler to control optical disk players? I presume they have been published
somewhere, so if you could point me there, I would appreciate it.

Ed Seiler (seiler@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov)

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (01/04/90)

By "optical disk players" if you mean videodisc players, you need the
HyperTalk Videodisc Toolkit 2.0.  If you mean CD-ROM drives (to play audio
CD's) then you need a toolkit called something like HyperTalk CD Audio Toolkit.

Both of these are available from APDA.

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum   |
Brigham Young University               |   Bitnet: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
101 HRCB, Provo, UT  84602             |   Internet: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

seiler@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ed Seiler) (01/06/90)

In article <1005taylorj@yvax.byu.edu> taylorj@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>By "optical disk players" if you mean videodisc players, you need the
>HyperTalk Videodisc Toolkit 2.0.  If you mean CD-ROM drives (to play audio
>CD's) then you need a toolkit called something like HyperTalk CD Audio Toolkit.
>Both of these are available from APDA.

  Thanks, but what I am really trying to find is the source for the XCMDs. I
think this may exist in some published work, but I'm not sure. I do have a
stack titled VideoDisc by Ted Kaehler and Fabrice Florin that includes XCMDs
for certain optical disc players, so that they can be controlled from
Hypercard, and the documentation refers to Winkler's work. Perhaps someone
from Apple knows?

Ed Seiler (seiler@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov)

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (01/08/90)

The videodisc toolkit from APDA includes source code in Pascal.  If you
want to write your own customized routines you might want to try using the
much simpler "SendSerial" XCMD to send codes to the player.

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum
Brigham Young University
taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

benjamin@i-core.UUCP (Benjamin F. Kuo) (01/10/90)

There is a source for at least a FEW of the original videodisc XCMDS -- try
Phil And Dave's Excellent CD, burrowed someplace in Developers' Services
code... In either MPW Pascal or C...

If not, I'm sure you can get them somewhere (I have them here on my HD...)

A word of advice:
   Avoid Apple's so-called "VideoDisc Toolkit", it makes a mess of things
   (too much error checking... bogs down the system FAST...)
--

nayeri@takahe.cs.umass.edu (Farshad Nayeri) (01/15/90)

In article <1990Jan10.020927.15011@i-core.UUCP> benjamin@i-core.UUCP (Benjamin F. Kuo) writes:

>A word of advice:
>  Avoid Apple's so-called "VideoDisc Toolkit", it makes a mess of things
>   (too much error checking... bogs down the system FAST...)

Can you expand on this one?  What are the problems with the Apple VideoDisc
Toolkit?  Of course the faster the better, but I don't think speed is that
much of a concern when you are interacting with a videodisc player.

Farshad Nayeri  [nayeri@cs.umass.edu]
Object Oriented Systems Laboratory
University of Massachussets

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (01/20/90)

>A word of advice:
>  Avoid Apple's so-called "VideoDisc Toolkit", it makes a mess of things
>   (too much error checking... bogs down the system FAST...)

In article <1990Jan10.020927.15011@i-core.UUCP> benjamin@i-core.UUCP (Benjamin

Could you elaborate on this a bit, please?
Which version of the Toolkit? 2.0?  I haven't noticed any bogging down
problems.  Do you have any suggestion for a preferred replacement?