[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] reading MS word docs in SuperCard

young@ditsyda.oz (Steven Young) (02/08/90)

in article <55460@srcsip.UUCP>, thompson@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Thompson) says:
> Does anyone know of a way to read text documents created in MS Word in
> SuperCard.  I want to be able to use all the formatting commands already in
> the documents, such as bold, underline, fonts, and such.  Therefore, I do
> not want to output the document as ASCII text for use as I lose all the
> goodies.  Any help would be very much appreciated. TIA
> Todd Thompson

You could try saving the files as RTF Interchange format (one of the other
Save as... options) which contains parsable formatting instructions along
with the text.  I have no idea where to get a specification for RTF interchange
but it is certainly readable and would achieve what you are wanting

Hope this is helpful,

Steven Young.

jtm@ishtar.cs.cornell.edu (Jan Thomas Miksovsky) (02/09/90)

In article <2443@ditsyda.oz> young@ditsyda.oz (Steven Young) writes:

>You could try saving the files as RTF Interchange format (one of the other
>Save as... options) which contains parsable formatting instructions along
>with the text.  I have no idea where to get a specification for RTF interchange
>but it is certainly readable and would achieve what you are wanting

The Microsoft Word docs mention that you can get a copy of the RTF
file format by writing to:

Microsoft Corporation
RTF/Applications
16011 NE 36th Way