[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] SuperCard Runtime Editor

taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (02/17/90)

I've written a small, fast runtime editor to replace the one that comes with
SuperCard.  It also lets you get at more attributes (like locked, visible,
hilite, etc.)

Is there enough interest in this for me to post it?

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum
Brigham Young University
taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (02/18/90)

In article <1120taylorj@yvax.byu.edu> taylorj@yvax.byu.edu writes:
>I've written a small, fast runtime editor to replace the one that comes with
>SuperCard.  It also lets you get at more attributes (like locked, visible,
>hilite, etc.)
>Is there enough interest in this for me to post it?

Sure, go for it!  I'd be interested in seeing what you have.

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
|   Systems Engineering, NASA Space Station Freedom / General Electric WP3   |

yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) (02/20/90)

In article <1120taylorj@yvax.byu.edu> taylorj@yvax.byu.edu (Jim Taylor) writes:
>I've written a small, fast runtime editor to replace the one that comes with
>SuperCard.  It also lets you get at more attributes (like locked, visible,
>hilite, etc.)  Is there enough interest in this for me to post it?

Sure, of course.  Do it.

Since you know how to get in and replace the
editor in SuperCard, maybe you can comment on
the following:

We are now starting to see a proliferation of
specialized text editors built to be hooked into
specific Mac applications.  This is silly.  Plain
text editing is a standard thing one needs to do
in conjunction with many applications.

Apple should have worked out a TextEdit Manager
or TextEdit Toolbox or something by now.  Some way
that souped-up text editing (beyond the base-level
text editing provided in the toolbox) can be
provided wherever plain text editing is needed.
Maybe they have a solution already: maybe IAC will
make this a piece of cake.  I hope so.

Even on dumb old UNIX you can specify as a user
profile the ASCII text editor you prefer, and
it will be used by applications that need text
editing.  Of course, the UNIX way is brain dead
because it drops you into the editor with only one
file[1] and you have to finish and exit and lose
all your context--you can't keep the editor active
alongside the other application.  (Hmmm... yes you
could... if you... [see below])

Why don't the Preditor and/or Qued/M people get
together with the SuperCard, HyperCard, Wingz,
etc. people and Apple and come up with some way
their editors can be used for internal editing in
other applications?

 Dave Yost
 yost@dpw.com or uunet!esquire!yost
 Please ignore the From or Reply-To fields above, if different.

[1] The Rand Message Handler ("MH") and the Rand
Editor were modified many years ago to circumvent
this problem: the MH reply command puts the name
of the message replied to into an 'editalt'
environment variable and the editor, if it sees
anything in that env variable, puts that file up
as the 'alternate file'.

P.S.  About that "hmm..." above.  There could be a
generic 'editor-manager' program on unix, say
'edmgr', and you would set
   EDITOR=edmgr EDMGR_EDITOR=yfe
(your favorite editor).  When edmgr was invoked,
it would launch yfe if it wasn't already running
as a service, or it could tell you to run yfe in
server mode in some window.  Then when yfe is
running in server mode, edmgr would send it (over
a socket) a list of files to edit.  Now, in yfe,
all those files are automatically brought up to
edit.  You edit and save as many of them as you
feel like, then issue a new 'done' command, which
notifies edmgr to exit.  If the next request yfe
gets from an edmgr is for different files than you
currently have active, yfe will ask you if you
want to forget about the previous files and start
over; otherwise, it keeps all your same context.

Of course, yfe would have to be modified to
cooperate with edmgr.  Edmgr is really just
a compatibility hack to let this new style of
editing coexist with existing programs that
know only how to invoke $EDITOR in the old way.
Eventually, maybe applications would be written on
unix that would know how to skip edmgr entirely
and talk directly to the editor in this new mode.

KOFOID@cc.utah.edu (02/21/90)

    I would like to second David Yosts remarks about stupid proprietary text
editors, and would like to add Think Pascal's to the list. This otherwise
excellant programming language is definitely cheapened by a stupid editor which
masks as smart because it does a bit of syntax checking. I am offended at
having to stare at indentation which some arbitrary software engineer thinks is
correct for everybody else, and I'm annoyed that features available in editors
such as Qued/M are not available to users of this environment.

    I have written to Symantec and also spoken to them by phone about this
problem. They always assure me that the problem is a real one which they are
addressing, and nothing happens. I don't consider the few configurable options
thrown in to the last version as a real improvement. What should be done is
obvious: hooks should be written into the program which would extend
configurability to complete substitution of another editor, if this is what the
user wants. It would not be that difficult to incorporate a hook into the new
editor's 'find' feature which would allow curosor repositioning after an error
during program interpretation or compilation.

    These comments pertain even more to the HyperCard editor, which was worse
than crippled at birth. More like still-born. What puzzles me is why Apple
would *want* people to suffer such an environment, when it's obvious that good
stackware sells Macs. One would think that they, of all people, would want
HyperCard programming to be as easy, efficient and fun as possible.

    Cheers,

        Eric.

  Snail: Eric Kofoid; Dept. Biology, U. of Utah; SLC, UT 84103 USA
   Fast: bi.kofoid%science@utahcca (BitNet)
 Faster: bi.kofoid@science.utah.edu (InterNet)
Fastest: kofoid@bioscience.utah.edu (InterNet)