[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Copying Backgrounds?

bdw@natasha.mach.cs.cmu.edu (Blake Ward) (02/27/90)

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how to copy a
background in hypertalk.  I want to take a default background, copy it and
make some changes several times under program control.  Currently I'm doing
this by putting the background in another stack since copying and pasting a
card from another stack always creates a new background.  Seems like there
should be a more elegant way though.

Thanks,

	Blake.

BARRY.CHERN@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (BARRY CHERN) (03/01/90)

Blake Ward wrote:
>I want to take a default background, copy it and
>make some changes several times under program control.

I don't know if this is 'more elegant' than pasting from another stack or
not, but if you copy a card from a background, make some change to the
background, and then paste the (still unchanged) earlier copied card it
will become a new background. So you could copy the card, perform some
minor change that doesn't involve any further copying or cutting (maybe
paint a pixel in the corner or something) and then when you paste card you
should have the indpendantly changeable card you're after.

^^^^^
The above statement expresses the views of the individual and does
not necessarily reflect the views or concerns of this place of origin.

--
BARRY CHERN via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!BARRY.CHERN

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (03/06/90)

In article <8192@pt.cs.cmu.edu> bdw@natasha.mach.cs.cmu.edu (Blake Ward) writes:

>I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how to copy a
>background in hypertalk.  ...

Sorry Blake.  I ran into this same difficulty.  Might even say that
it is one of (many) my big complaints about HyperCard.  I'm a VERY
modular programmer and this IRKS me.

BTW - I am a GREAT HYPERCARD FAN!  I look forward to HC 3.0 for some
                                                        ^^^
real useable features!

Jann VanOver
vanover@bcsaic.UUCP