[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Getting a resource out of SuperCard

bri@garnet.berkeley.edu (Brian Reilly) (03/05/90)

How do I get an snd resource (or any kind) out of a SuperCard project?
Since the resources aren't stored in the resource fork, ResEdit or SoundEdit
is no good for finding them as far as I can tell.

Brian Reilly			Division of Language and Literacy
bri@ucbgarne.bitnet		UC Berkeley School of Education
bri@garnet.berkeley.edu		Berkeley, CA 94720

bri@garnet.berkeley.edu (Brian Reilly) (03/07/90)

In article <1990Mar5.061042.11017@agate.berkeley.edu> bri@garnet.berkeley.edu (Brian Reilly) writes:
>How do I get an snd resource (or any kind) out of a SuperCard project?
>Since the resources aren't stored in the resource fork, ResEdit or SoundEdit
>is no good for finding them as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure if anyone else is interested in this, but the answer is
that unless you write an xcmd to retrieve a resource from SuperCard,
there is no way to get a sound, icon, etc. from a SuperCard project to
anyplace else.  To me, this does not seem like a good way to manage
the resources (storing them in the data fork).  The argument for this
was that there is a limit on the number of files you can have open
at once, and by eliminating the need for a resource fork for every project,
you double the number of projects you can have open at once.

-Brian Reilly

fugitt@eos.UUCP (Katherine Fugitt) (03/08/90)

In article <1990Mar5.061042.11017@agate.berkeley.edu> bri@garnet.berkeley.edu (Brian Reilly) writes:
> How do I get an snd resource (or any kind) out of a SuperCard project?
> Since the resources aren't stored in the resource fork, ResEdit or SoundEdit
> is no good for finding them as far as I can tell.

Finding them is easy.  Deleting them is easy.  Moving them from one
project to another is also easy.  Changing them I have no idea.

When you open the project in SuperEdit, click on the 'R' (resources)
at the bottom-left of the project overview (or choose Resources from
the View Menu).  You then get a list of all the resources assigned to
the project and can cut, copy, paste, and delete from project to
project.

I have successfully imported snd resources from MacRecorder stuff by
converting the stack to a SuperCard Project also.

(I apologize if this was trivially obvious and you had another question
in mind...)

(Anxiously awaiting publishing of the SuperCard Reference Guide...)

--
Katherine Fugitt
fugitt@eos.arc.nasa.gov  (or)....!ames!eos!fugitt