[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] hypercard as a front end

nichols@citron.ucsb.edu (Timothy C. Nichols) (03/18/90)

I need some advice.  I have to develop a database, and hypercard
must fit into the equation somehow.  The database will be large
(several megabytes), and needs to be heavily cross referenced
(indexed).  Are there any powerful databases out there that
Hypercard can serve as a front end for?  I am aware of Oracle,
but do not know a lot about it.  Is Oracle hot stuff?  What
else is out there?  Please mail me suggestions/comments.

-Tim

nichols@cs.ucsb.edu	      	| So long, and thanks for all the fish.

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (03/23/90)

In article <4351@hub.UUCP> nichols@citron.ucsb.edu (Timothy C. Nichols) writes:
>I need some advice.  I have to develop a database, and hypercard
>must fit into the equation somehow.  The database will be large
>(several megabytes), and needs to be heavily cross referenced
>(indexed).  Are there any powerful databases out there that
>Hypercard can serve as a front end for?  I am aware of Oracle,
     According to the Fall '89 APDA catalog, in an article "Hypercard
developers' lab", in Omnis 5, a "large relational database package
is a set of HyperCard externals and a special run-time Omnis module
that lets any HyperCard stack access and manipulate an Omnis 5
database and data file"... "multi-user read/write" ... "map fields
from the Omnis 5 database to HyperCard fields" ... "remarkably fast".

    Other than this brief review, I know nothing about it.  Oracle is
SQL, so it might be of more use in accessing mainframe or mini
databases.

Dan Dlugose
UNC Educational Computing Service