[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] lockmouse in supercard?

harmo@cc.helsinki.fi (Timo Harmo, Fac. of Soc.Sci, U of Helsinki) (03/29/90)

Is there some way of preventing Supercard from sending mouse-messages during
those endless waiting times when it is moving from one card to another.

I want all the closecard, opencard etc. messages sent normally, but not the
mouseups and downs that the user makes in desparation (I understoond that
"set lockmessages.."  does exactly the opposite from what I want).
A command to purge the recent unhandled messages would do also.

Optionally, some way to speed up supercard would help also. I'm running a stack
with 70 dpi grayscale-pictures and not very much code on a CX with 8 M memory
and it is really sloow.
 -Timo

martin@m2.csc.ti.com (Steven Martin) (03/29/90)

In article <2212.2610f65d@cc.helsinki.fi> harmo@cc.helsinki.fi (Timo Harmo, Fac. of Soc.Sci, U of Helsinki) writes:
>Is there some way of preventing Supercard from sending mouse-messages during
>those endless waiting times when it is moving from one card to another.
>
>I want all the closecard, opencard etc. messages sent normally, but not the
>mouseups and downs that the user makes in desparation (I understoond that
>"set lockmessages.."  does exactly the opposite from what I want).
>A command to purge the recent unhandled messages would do also.

I think that what you really need to do is figure out why the user is
clicking in desparation and avoid that scenario.  It can be as simple
as changing the cursor to a watch so that the user knows that
something is going on.

Maybe just setting the cursor to watch on closecard would do it for
you.

As far as purching recent unhandles messages, I think that "wait until
the mouse is up" will do what you want, but just for mouse clicks.

Steve Martin            USENET: {ctvax,im4u,texsun,rice}!ti-csl!martin
The opinions in this    ARPANET: SMARTIN@CSC.TI.COM  COMPUSERVE: 72727,1471
article are my own.     PHONE: (214)-995-0387, 404-1061
I'm at a loss for quotes.  - SM

GFX@psuvm.psu.edu (03/30/90)

In article <117008@ti-csl.csc.ti.com>, martin@m2.csc.ti.com (Steven Martin)
says:

>As far as purching recent unhandles messages, I think that "wait until
>the mouse is up" will do what you want, but just for mouse clicks.

Wouldn't it trap only the first click?  I personally insert a "repeat
while the mouseClick" loop at the end of scripts that are expected to
take a while to execute.  What is still missing however is a positive
feedback to indicate that the clicks will be purged, similar to the beep
you hear if you try to click outside of a modal dialog.  Stephane