[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Visual effects speed

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (03/29/90)

After reading Tim Maroney's article on showing help fields using
lock/dissolve, I gave it a try and found that "dissolve fast"
was too fast for my tastes on the SE/30.

Are the visual effects speeds handled based on system speed, or
do they just basically work the same no matter what?

If the former, is the SE/30 broken?

If the latter, is this ever going to be fixed?  I hate the idea of
writing my stacks to say "if the CPU type is a 68000, dissolve fast,
otherwise dissolve".

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

seymour@milton.acs.washington.edu (Richard Seymour) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Mar29.153131.1320@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.Sony.COM
 (David Elliott) asks:
>After reading Tim Maroney's article on showing help fields using
>lock/dissolve, I gave it a try and found that "dissolve fast"
>was too fast for my tastes on the SE/30.
>
>Are the visual effects speeds handled based on system speed, or
>do they just basically work the same no matter what?

it's worse than you think -- on some machine/display combinations,
the effect speed is ignored entirely!
the effects are not shown on IIcx's with color screens (for example)
(at least, not with 6.0.3 and whichever Hypercard was current then).

a friend had loaned me a stack he'd written (John Cramer's Isotope
table) -- and i suggested that sideways wipes would be appropriate.
and he said they were there!  true enough, i loaded in onto an SE
and there they were (but the whole stack was a lot slower :-()

so a little digging in the Hypercard release notes did indeed documnet
that the Apple color card did not support the visual effects.  hence
their speed had no meaning.

--dick

seymour@milton.acs.washington.edu (Richard Seymour) (04/10/90)

a clarification:  i dug out a manual:  the HyperTalk Beginner's Guide
(which came with a Mac in Sept 1989) says on page 28:

Hypercard visual effects aren't visible with color or with multiple
grays selected. ... [use] the Control Panel ... and change the Monitors
setting to "Black&White/Grays" and the number of grays to 2.

that does restore visual effects.
--dick

er225711@unix.cis.pitt.edu (M Kikuchi) (04/10/90)

In article <2765@milton.acs.washington.edu> seymour@milton.acs.washington.edu (Richard Seymour) writes:

>Hypercard visual effects aren't visible with color or with multiple
>grays selected. ... [use] the Control Panel ... and change the Monitors
>setting to "Black&White/Grays" and the number of grays to 2.

But not in that order!!  Be sure to set the number of colors to 2 BEFORE
you set the monitor to B/W.  My IIcx doesn't like being told (even for an
instant) to display 256 colors on a B/W monitor!  (Thank god for programmer's
switches)

---Martin Thurn     c/o   er225711@unix.cis.pitt.edu

carson@tron.UUCP (Dana Carson) (04/12/90)

In article <23441@unix.cis.pitt.edu> er225711@unix.cis.pitt.edu (M Kikuchi) writes:
>In article <2765@milton.acs.washington.edu> seymour@milton.acs.washington.edu (Richard Seymour) writes:
>>
>>Hypercard visual effects aren't visible with color or with multiple
>>grays selected. ... [use] the Control Panel ... and change the Monitors
>>setting to "Black&White/Grays" and the number of grays to 2.
>
>But not in that order!!  Be sure to set the number of colors to 2 BEFORE
>you set the monitor to B/W.  My IIcx doesn't like being told (even for an

Actually just setting it to two colors is all you need.  If it's 2 color
its black and white and works fine.

Dana Carson
Westinghouse Electronic Systems Group  Mail Stop 1615
UUCP:carson@tron.UUCP
     carson@tron.bwi.wec.com
     ...!uunet!tron!carson
AT&T: (301) 765-3513