[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Search Weirdness

sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Greg Anderson) (05/05/90)

In article <3382@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp22@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) writes:
>  A while ago I posted a question on how to search an external file for
>a word that was selected in a field and display some lines from the
>file.  Greg Anderson hooked me up with his Grep routine which worked great.

Glad you like it.

>  Here is the problem...it only seems to work with the "main" letters.
>If I perform the operation on a word with a character I generated with
>an option key, it won't work.  Is this perhaps a bug in HyperCard?
>Greg, are you out there?!?

I'm here.  It is possible that grep only looks at the low 7 bits of
the character being searched against.  This would be pretty dumb, but
not long ago I realized that grep wouldn't let you search for control
characters (no, I have _no_ idea why I special-checked them out).

I'll look at the source and see if I did anything equally inane with
option characters.  Source is available on ssyx.ucsc.edu for anyone
else who wants to take a look, by the way.

At any rate, I'll let you know what I come up with.  I've never grep'ed
on option characters before, but I'm going to need to do it soon, so
I might as well get it working now.

>|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
>|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
>|  Consultant/Techie - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
>|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
>I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, I just hope God grades on a curve

  ___\    /___               Greg Anderson              ___\    /___
  \   \  /   /         Social Sciences Computing        \   \  /   /
   \  /\/\  /    University of California, Santa Cruz    \  /\/\  /
    \/    \/              sirkm@ssyx.ucsc.edu             \/    \/