[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Supercard Question--speed from one card to the next

dragon@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael E. Quattlebaum) (05/29/90)

A friend of mine is working on a supercard stack, and is having some serious
problems with speed.  It seems that the color images slow down movement from
one card to the next considerable.  Also, the problem is not nearly as bad
when text on the screen is not modified.  If anyone has any suggestions as
to what the problem is or possible fixes, please let me know asap.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Quattlebaum
Apple Student Rep
Clemson University

dragon@hubcap.clemson.edu
AppleLink: ST0673

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (05/29/90)

In article <9138@hubcap.clemson.edu> dragon@hubcap.clemson.edu (Michael E. Quattlebaum) writes:
>A friend of mine is working on a supercard stack, and is having some serious
>problems with speed.  It seems that the color images slow down movement from
>one card to the next considerable.  Also, the problem is not nearly as bad
>when text on the screen is not modified.  If anyone has any suggestions as
>to what the problem is or possible fixes, please let me know asap.

>Michael Quattlebaum

The easiest thing to try is to make sure your windows are longword aligned
(i.e. 0, 32 ,64 etc...) horizontally. When you start your project make
sure that the windows left edge is at a good location. If you drag
a hypercard window you notice that the window is gridded to word alignment.
So if your user drags one of you windows around you can check its location
and reposition it if nessesary. I know its against the HI rules to move
things around after the user moves it but the speed penalty is tremendous
if the window is not aligned. (even more so for color windows).

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       mxmora@unix.sri.com