[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] "Innovative software like Hypercard" sic

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/08/90)

-----------------------------
In article <33521@ut-emx.UUCP>, awessels@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes...

>In article <33519@ut-emx.UUCP> eggplant@walt.cc.utexas.edu (johan van Zanten) writes:
>
>>  Mr Forbes writes:
>>"If development costs for Hypercard are driving up the costs of making a Mac,
>>then I think we can safely ax this project.  Most users could live without
>>Hypercard and be richer as a result."
>
>>	I strongly disagree.  One of the foundations Apple built its current
>>success upon was the Educational market.  Currently, Apple is working very hard
>>to produce a low cost, color Macintosh as soon as possible (firing a high exec)
>But, the point Mr. Forbes was making was that if the cost of HyperCard
>development is adding to the cost of the Mac, and in so doing reducing the
>chances that educational institutions can buy them, that HyperCard should be
>dumped.  There are already alternative HyperCard-like environments (as there
>were before HyperCard - at least as far as the educational market is concerned).
>
>>because of the educational demand.  They have (reportedly) lost $500 million
>>in sales to IBM and IBM-compatibles, and it hurts.
>
>Uh, I question those figures.  If Apple isn't really competing in a market,
>how could it lose money there.  Apple doesn't price its computers for the
>educational market, and even if it di monochome doesn't cut it there
>anymore.

"Apple doesn't price its computers for the educational market"?  Maybe, if you
buy retail.  But at many universities and community colleges you can get Macs
for less than 50% of retail.  A Plus for <$700, for instance.

>>	However, Macs will not be able to "infiltrate" the educational world if
>>they do not have some sort of easy-to-learn programming environment, where
>>teachers and students just beginning to use computers, can write sometimes-
>>lenghty and interesting programs, tailored to their students' needs.
>
>Such environments already exist.  SuperCard, Plus, and the Course Builder
>courseware environments are here.  HyperCard has done its job of popularizing
>that type of software.

Sheesh, some people are never satisfied.  What HyperCard does is add value to
the system you've purchased.  It does this in two ways.  First, it's free, and
it's a good program.  SuperCard, et al., are not free.  Second, it's a
standard, and everybody who has a Mac has HyperCard.  This allows everyone who
has a Mac to run any stack, and anyone who has a Mac to write -- with relative
ease -- a fairly sophisticated program with graphics, etc. which every other
member of the Mac community can enjoy.

[...]
>The basic problem with Apple is that it has gone the way of other megalithic
>corporations and lost its ability to get to market innovative products.

Nonsense.  BTW, who do you see out there marketing "innovative" products.
Clone makers?

The original point of this thread -- which I think has been lost -- is that
Apple cannot compete on price with clone makers, since Apple has a large R&D
budget to support.  This is true, whether you like it or not.  Who do you think
is paying for System 7, the NEA?  No, we are.  (Of course, I still think Macs
could be priced somewhat lower, but that's a flame for a different time. :->).
It is doubtful that HyperCard itself adds much to that R&D cost, since the
original HyperCard was developed by a team of fewer than 10 people (mainly Bill
Atkinson).  As for whether HyperCard has value: look at the real world.  Of
course it does.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

awessels@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (07/09/90)

In article <1990Jul7.225429.22821@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>"Apple doesn't price its computers for the educational market"?  Maybe, if you
>buy retail.  But at many universities and community colleges you can get Macs
>for less than 50% of retail.  A Plus for <$700, for instance.

A Mac Plus is not a Macintosh system.  You need at least another 800k drive to
make it functional.  Also, my point was made with the perspective of hisory in
mind.  The price drop in the Plus is typical of Apple when it plans on
discontinuing a model.  Apple should have made this move a year ago.

>Nonsense.  BTW, who do you see out there marketing "innovative" products.
>Clone makers?

Innovative not wrt new products, but innovative wrt giving more price/
performance.  Apple can market both a high-end line to recoup the R&D budget,
and a low end to build a mass market.  Maybe if Apple could deliver the numbers
that give clone buyers leverage in buying other products for their machines,
people wouldn't gripe so much about paying for the box.

>The original point of this thread -- which I think has been lost -- is that
>Apple cannot compete on price with clone makers, since Apple has a large R&D
>budget to support.  This is true, whether you like it or not.  Who do you think
>is paying for System 7, the NEA?  No, we are.  (Of course, I still think Macs
>could be priced somewhat lower, but that's a flame for a different time. :->).
>It is doubtful that HyperCard itself adds much to that R&D cost, since the
>original HyperCard was developed by a team of fewer than 10 people (mainly Bill
>Atkinson).  As for whether HyperCard has value: look at the real world.  Of
>course it does.

I don't think anyone has said that Apple could sell a machine for less than a
clone.  But Apple's current moves have been way too slow and been in response
only to massive complaints around the industry.  Of course, the clones have
been making large inroads to the market they are beginning to address and so
these changes have more to compete against.

I'm sure HyperCard has value, but I'm not so sure the value is to the end-user.
Most people I know who have Macs don't use HyperCard for much of anything.
The advantage of HyperCard is in development, and I have yet to see how that
advantage has passed on to end users.  Possibly in the number of products
available - except that many of those are HyperCard devlopment aids.

siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (siegman) (07/09/90)

My two opinions on this thread:

1) I won't express an opinion pro or con on the value of Hypercard as
a programming system for amateur programmers, or as a sales tool for
Macs -- though I some time ago decided there was no stackware I was
finding useful, and de-accessioned HyperCard completely.  (Maybe
getting a CD-ROM drive would change that.)

But I'll point out once again -- hope this doesn't get tiresome --
that for the amateur, occasional, part-time programmer (at any level
from high-school student to full professor) who wants to write a few
real Mac-like programs now and then, to do real work, QuickBASIC
provides a superb, powerful, easy to learn and easy to use real Mac
programming environment and language.

Certain interface-intensive tasks I'd certainly chose to implement in
HyperCard.  But QuickBASIC programming on the Mac, even with interface
considerations included, is certainly no harder to learn or use than
is HyperCard scripting, especially if you want to "write a program";
and the hardware and memory requirements are very much less.  (And you
can end up with a nice small free-standing clickable application.)

2) IMHO the debates raging in this and other groups over the relative
merits of the Mac versus Windows 3.0 are largely irrelevant.  A very
large number of novice computer buyers (and a large number of
elementary and high school educators needing to replace their Apple
IIs) are going to look at Windows 3.0, and say, "Hey, that's great!!
...  Just like the Mac!" (whether that's true or not) ".  And then
they're going to look at clone prices, and at the total system they
can get for their limited dollars (and the warranties), and say "And a
lot cheaper too!!"  And they're going to buy the clone with Windows.

(And developers are going to look at, what is it, 1 million Macs, and
7 (?) million PCs and growing, out there, and decide where to steer
their creativity.)

I don't think Apple yet really believes this will happen. We'll see...

pease@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Pease) (07/11/90)

In article <33543@ut-emx.UUCP>, awessels@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes...

>I'm sure HyperCard has value, but I'm not so sure the value is to the end-user.
>Most people I know who have Macs don't use HyperCard for much of anything.
>The advantage of HyperCard is in development, and I have yet to see how that
>advantage has passed on to end users.  Possibly in the number of products
>available - except that many of those are HyperCard devlopment aids.

Hypercard is the most useful program (except for word processor) that I use on
a computer.  I have written my own stack to perform configuration control
activities on a major sofware development effort.  I use this stack to keep
track of what stage an program is in, who is doing what to a program, are there
any problems reported with a program, does a change require documentation
revision, and to keep history on changes made to any program (of which there are
around 200 application functions and about 20 support subroutine packages.
These programs are being developed in two separate locations and are tested
on 5 different computer systems.  My stack keeps information on all of this
and automatically creates a summary report and a current problems list which
which is place in a file and is automatically brought into a word processor
for final editing/cleanup before distributing to project personnel.  It has
made my job as configuration manager much easier and more productive.

I would not even consider buying a home computer which does not have Hypercard
or its equivalent.  I also use it to manage my home maintenance activities and
by flower and vegetable gardens as I track the plant variaties.

Phil Pease

My witty disclaimer - everything I perceive, through either sensory or
extrasensory means, has been filtered to such an extent that you had better not
attempt to attribute anything I say to anyone else.