[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard 2

hmayor@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Heather Mayor) (06/30/90)

Does anyone know whether 'color' will be an integral part of
Hypercard 2?
HDM

gb2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (George J. Baxter) (07/02/90)

Yeah, Heather.. it's supposed to have color, resizable windows, and editor,
amoung other things.  One other thing I hope they get is those *^^ special
effects working on large screen monitors too..
        GJB

cpv0@GTE.COM (Cameron Vaziri) (07/04/90)

In article <saXonS600UzxQ111ok@andrew.cmu.edu>, gb2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (George J. Baxter) writes:
> Yeah, Heather.. it's supposed to have color, resizable windows, and editor,
> amoung other things.  One other thing I hope they get is those *^^ special
> effects working on large screen monitors too..
>         GJB

According to what I've read, the only thing you can do in color in
HyperCard2.0 is show previously created color images (saved as
PICT resources) within a frame.  I am not sure if you can attach
a script to the color object to do something after it has been
clicked upon.  I believe this capability is roughly the
same XCMD type implementation which is currently available. SuperCard
and Plus more thoroughly support color at the cost of speed.

In regard to special effects, I have no problem using special effects
on a large screen monitor as long as I am in 1-bit black & white
display mode.  However, I heard that you don't have to change your
display mode to get visual effects with HyperCard 2.0.

Has anyone yet received the SuperCard 1.5 upgrade?

Pete Vaziri
cpv0@gte.com

gannholm@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (07/04/90)

The color capabilities of HyperCard 2.0 are that you can display any PICT
files in windows, floating or not. A message gets sent of where you
clicked on the picture if you do this.

You can also have color palettes that contain clickable regions. There is,
however, no support in 2.0 for creating these things.

Both of these features are implemented as XCMDs using the new external
window interface, and a developer could easily do more sophisticated color
things - expect to see some really hot color stuff from 3rd parties.

Visual effects in 2.0 work in 1, 2, 4 or 8-bit mode and even on monitors
that aren't the main (boot) screen. The restraints are <= 8-bit and the
card window can't straddle screens.

Martin Gannholm
Apple Computer

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (07/11/90)

In article <9397@bunny.GTE.COM> cpv0@GTE.COM (Cameron Vaziri) writes:
> According to what I've read, the only thing you can do in color in
> HyperCard2.0 is show previously created color images (saved as
> PICT resources) within a frame.  I am not sure if you can attach
> a script to the color object to do something after it has been
> clicked upon.  I believe this capability is roughly the
> same XCMD type implementation which is currently available. SuperCard
> and Plus more thoroughly support color at the cost of speed.
>
> In regard to special effects, I have no problem using special effects
> on a large screen monitor as long as I am in 1-bit black & white
> display mode.  However, I heard that you don't have to change your
> display mode to get visual effects with HyperCard 2.0.

You are correct that the only color support is for showing a color image
in a frame. If you click on it, it will return the coordinates of the
click to some other routine. In essence, the DisplayPICT XCMD has been
added to HyperTalk.

Special effects *do* work now in 8-bit color, but if you're in 24-bit
mode, you still lose the special effects. There are also a couple of new
effects, but I can't remember what they are.

David Gutierrez
an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard