[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Requests for ftp-able HyperCard

fry@brauer.harvard.edu (David Fry) (07/13/90)

While I don't mean to flame anyone or be a pain, I'd like to suggest
that everyone stop clammoring for an ftp-able HyperCard 2.0.  I think
everyone at Apple understands already that we'd like to see that.
One person even publicly stated as such.

I'm sure that Apple will make HC available for ftp if it fits their
plans.  Frankily, if it doesn't, we'll just have to live with it.  To
get the most out of version 2.0, new manuals will be necessary, so I
plan to get it from a dealer.  Also, HC 2.0 and related files is sure
to take up a lot of space, and everyone calling apple.com to suck it
down could reek havoc.  Even if HC isn't ftp-able, everyone will have
ample opportunity to get it from dealers, friends, user groups, etc.
I do understand, however, that this may not be so easy for non-US
users.

Apple posted a message on AppleLink a few days ago saying that
version 2.0 will be available there as soon as its released, so Apple
is definitely eager to make it available.  I do not know anything
about the decision (mentioned on America Online) to ignore BBS and
network distribution, but I suspect it may be related to yesterday's
birth of General Magic, the Bill Atkinson/Andy Hertzfeld company.

Basically, I just think everyone should calm down a little.

David Fry                               fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics               fry@huma1.bitnet
Harvard University                      ...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

gannholm@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (07/14/90)

In article <3483@husc6.harvard.edu> fry@brauer.harvard.edu (David Fry)
writes:
> I do not know anything
> about the decision (mentioned on America Online) to ignore BBS and
> network distribution, but I suspect it may be related to yesterday's
> birth of General Magic, the Bill Atkinson/Andy Hertzfeld company.

General Magic/Atkinson/Hertzfeld have nothing to do with HyperCard. I
don't really know of a "decision" but I thought I'd just make the
non-reasons clear.

Martin Gannholm
Apple Computer

Exclaimer !!! I typed this myself, therefore I am myself !

jon@gara.une.oz.au (Jonathan Burne CCEN) (07/14/90)

In article <3483@husc6.harvard.edu>, fry@brauer.harvard.edu (David Fry) writes:

> While I don't mean to flame anyone or be a pain, I'd like to suggest
> that everyone stop clammoring for an ftp-able HyperCard 2.0.

	Yes, but a little pressure needs to be applied. For *anyone* to
make software available to ftp is a leap in the dark. For Apple to make a
brand new version of HC available would be generally regarded as bold and
innovative. Let us show, by our clamour, that those in Apple who want to
make it ftp-able have a lot of support out here.

> I suspect it may be related to yesterday's birth of General Magic,
> the Bill Atkinson/Andy Hertzfeld company.

	What impact will this move by Bill have on the future of HC? The
"urban myth" has it that HC is bundled with every mac as a condition
of Bill Atkinson's involvement in HC.    Is this true?
Does his move release Apple (or Claris) and so allow them to unbundle HC and
start pricing it like any other commercial product?

	I get the feeling we have seen all this before. Remember when MacWrite
used to be an amazing little word processor that came with every Mac. Now we
all use MS Word and hate it! Yes, yes, yes, a sweeping generalisation but you
see what I mean.

	HyperCard 2.0 looks good. Apple, *BE BOLD*, make it available to ftp.

						Jonathan Burne
						Mac Support
						University of New England
						Armidale NSW 2351