[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Playing sound on the Mac: snd1 vs snd2 resources

sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (07/13/90)

Is there a way to convert a sound resource in snd1 format to snd2
format?  I mean, is there a program around somewhere that will
do this for you?

A little background information:

There are two sound resource formats, snd1 and snd2.  MacRecorder
will save sounds as resources, and it chooses snd1 as its format.
Unfortunately if you want to use those resources in HyperCard
or SuperCard, you're hosed, since they will only recognize snd2
format.  SuperCard 1.5 is nice enough to warn you that it won't
recognize non-snd2 format resources, but offers no way to change
them.

If you're lucky enough to have a sound resource in snd2 format
lying around, you can use it as a prototype to create further
instances of snd2 resources (in MacRecorder).  But if you don't
have one of these, you're hosed.  Or if the one you have is at
11k sampling and the sampling rate you want is 22k, tough luck,
your 22k recording is converted to 11k.  (Yes!)

Are there any recording programs that do create snd2 resources?

Thanks in advance,
Greg Sandell

p.s. Yes, I do have a copy the latest Sound Manager docs from
apple.com which descirbes the two formats.  If I can't find a
pre-existing resource conversion program, then I'll probably use
this information to write one myself.

* Greg Sandell (sandell@ils.nwu.edu)              Evanston, IL *
* Institute for the Learning Sciences, Northwestern University *

consp22@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (07/13/90)

In article <1158@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu>, sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg
Sandell) writes:
|>Is there a way to convert a sound resource in snd1 format to snd2
|>format?  I mean, is there a program around somewhere that will
|>do this for you?
|>
|>There are two sound resource formats, snd1 and snd2.  MacRecorder
|>will save sounds as resources, and it chooses snd1 as its format.
|>Unfortunately if you want to use those resources in HyperCard
|>or SuperCard, you're hosed, since they will only recognize snd2
|>format.  SuperCard 1.5 is nice enough to warn you that it won't
|>recognize non-snd2 format resources, but offers no way to change
|>them.

Bzzzzz - Wrong.  You can save MacRecorder sounds right into HyperCard
and it does work.  I do it all the time.  In the Save As... dialog box,
choose resource, open up the stack, Save it.

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|---------------------------------------|  the SUNY-B Computer users.         |
|  Consultant/Techie - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, I just hope God grades on a curve

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (07/14/90)

In article <1158@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) writes:
>Is there a way to convert a sound resource in snd1 format to snd2
>format?  I mean, is there a program around somewhere that will
>do this for you?
>
>A little background information:
>
>There are two sound resource formats, snd1 and snd2.  MacRecorder
>will save sounds as resources, and it chooses snd1 as its format.
>Unfortunately if you want to use those resources in HyperCard
>or SuperCard, you're hosed, since they will only recognize snd2
>format.  SuperCard 1.5 is nice enough to warn you that it won't
>recognize non-snd2 format resources, but offers no way to change
>them.

You don't need any conversion software.

The HyperSound Toolkit (which is included with the MacRecorder
Sound System) is a set of HyperCard tools which allows you
record snd2 format resources (among other things) from a HyperCard
stack.

SoundEdit (also included in the MacRecorder Sound System)
DOES save snd resources in format 2 if the destination file is
a HyperCard stack.

Just some clarification here:  many people use the name MacRecorder
when they actually mean SoundEdit.  MacRecorder specifically
refers to the hardware, SoundEdit is the software.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (07/14/90)

by sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell):
| Is there a way to convert a sound resource in snd1 format to snd2
| format?  I mean, is there a program around somewhere that will
| do this for you?

  Sumex to the resuce. Check out "./infomac/sound/program" and you'll
find this...

	178445 sound-manager-package-161c.hqx

  I pulled a few utilities of sumex since I built my SID-II, and this
package contains some possibly useful things. The main one is a FONT/DA
MOVER-like package that can read all sorts of things including 'snd ' 1
and 2 resources, sound data files, etc. You can also open sounds from
the Dark Castle series programs (neato). It will convert any sound
format to any other, although it does it automagically and doesn't
really make it apparent. (ie, copy to stack or HyperCard itself, and you
get a snd2 resource compatible with HC. Copy that to a you system
file, and you get a snd1 resource.)
  You of course get to listen to sounds and choose your sampling rate.
There is a little feature that, when you hold a magic key down and hit
the copy button, the sound data is transformed from X KHz to X/2 KHz,
effectively halving the size of the sample.
  The only real drawback (for us cheapos) is that the author wants US$25
for the whole package, which I think is a bit much since the other stuff
in the package is covered by other shareware (and I don't even want that
stuff!!) It says that when you send in your fee, you get full
documentation (for all the little magic keys I assume :-) as well as a
clear conscience, other software from the author, and a bunch of sounds
on two disks.

Hope this helps

--
| _    /| | Robert Minich             |Q: Why is the food so lousy, and
| \'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University |the service so bad? Time traveler:
| =(___)= | minich@d.cs.okstate.edu   |A:The waiters know in advance what
|    U    | - Bill sez "Ackphtth"     |kind of tip they'll be getting.

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (07/15/90)

Greg Sandell
|>There are two sound resource formats, snd1 and snd2.  MacRecorder
|>will save sounds as resources, and it chooses snd1 as its format.
|>Unfortunately if you want to use those resources in HyperCard
|>or SuperCard, you're hosed, since they will only recognize snd2
|>format.

I think it's safe to admit at this point that Hypercard 2.0 plays both
sound formats.

bc
and apple contractor, who's lucky if he HEARS apple's official opinion.