[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Sounds in HyperCard

mas@ulysses.att.com (Michael A. Schoen) (07/13/90)

I have a question regarding digitized sounds in HC.  As someone
recently posted, SoundEdit can save sounds as resources directly
into a stack.  However, the play command in that stack does not
work.  How does one get the sound to play?  Thanks.

Michael A. Schoen
AT&T Bell Laboratories (provided for identification only)
mas@ulysses.att.com

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (07/15/90)

In article <13410@ulysses.att.com> mas@ulysses.att.com
(Michael A. Schoen) writes:
>I have a question regarding digitized sounds in HC.  As someone
>recently posted, SoundEdit can save sounds as resources directly
>into a stack.  However, the play command in that stack does not
>work.  How does one get the sound to play?  Thanks.

The play command will fail if there is not sufficient free memory
to load the sound sample. If it is large, you may need to increase
HyperCard's allocation under MultiFinder, turn off the RAM cache,
or take other steps to increase HyperCard's available memory.
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

jwinsor@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Joan Winsor) (07/16/90)

>I have a question regarding digitized sounds in HC.  As someone
>recently posted, SoundEdit can save sounds as resources directly
>into a stack.  However, the play command in that stack does not
>work.  How does one get the sound to play?  Thanks.

I'm not sure exactly what *kind* of sound you've added to your stack,
but if it was a "compressed" sound, then you must use "fplay" instead
of "play" to play them from your stack - and there's also a resource
that must be added to your stack to install the fplay command.  I don't
have my manual where I am right now, but you can check yours for
specific details.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!jwinsor
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!jwinsor@nosc.mil
INET: jwinsor@pnet51.cts.com