[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] NEW HYPERCARD BOOKS?

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) (07/20/90)

What books, other than Apple's, will cover the new features of HyperCard?

--

InterNet maner@andy.bgsu.edu  (129.1.1.2)    | BGSU, Comp Science Dept
UUCP     ... ! osu-cis ! bgsuvax ! maner     | Bowling Green, OH 43403

fore@csun2 (TROY HOWARD FORE) (07/20/90)

I know of three books that will (do) cover the features of HyperCard 2.0:
    "Cooking with HyperTalk 2.0" (Dan Winkler and Scott Knaster, I think)
    "HyperCard 2.0: The Book"    (Winkler and Knaster again)
    "The Complete HyperCard 2.0 Handbook" (Danny Goodman)

The listing for the first two books was on the back of the third. I'm not
absolutely sure about the authors on the first two books however. The "Cooking"
book isn't that bad, although it realy only covers HyperTalk and not the rest
of HyperCard conclusively (if that is actually possible.)

Howard Fore, Macintosh Consultant, Univ. of Georgia
Apple Student Rep   fore@csun2.cs.uga.edu    st0233 (AppleLink)

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (07/21/90)

I thought it was funny that the  bookstore I went to had the "Cooking..."
book without the other books.  I guess I want to learn how to use the cooking
implements before I actually do any cooking.

*
(oh yes.  The price was $30 +, but that did include a disk)

starta@tosh.uucp (John Starta) (07/22/90)

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:

> What books, other than Apple's, will cover the new features of HyperCard?

Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc., under the Bantam Computer Books
name, has three new books on HyperCard 2.0. Unfortunately, the titles are
unknown at this time [by myself]. You might try calling Bantam and see if
they have firmed anything up yet, or call your local bookstore and ask for
new Bantam arrivals.

John

jk3t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan King) (07/23/90)

starta@tosh.uucp (John Starta) writes:
> maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:
>
> > What books, other than Apple's, will cover the new features of HyperCard?
>
> Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc., under the Bantam Computer Books
> name, has three new books on HyperCard 2.0. Unfortunately, the titles are
> unknown at this time [by myself].

I have already seen one of the books, entitled "Cooking with Hypercard
2.0", which features Dan Winkler as a co-author.  This book deals with
basic and more advanced Hypertalk programming techniques, and seemed
pretty nice if pricey (although you also get a disk full of stacks).
You should be warned, however, that despite the title, this book is
*not* specific to HC 2.0, and doesn't seem to include much if any
information about new features in Hypertalk.  That doesn't, of course,
mean it's a bad book.

The other 2 books, which I haven't seen and may not even be released
as of 10:30 am Monday morning, seem to be more oriented towards HC
2.0.  The first one is the new revised edition of Danny Goodman's
book, and the other is a guide to Hypertalk by Dan Winkler.  I
assume the Goodman book will be similar in spirit to his first
handbook, while I can only guess the Winkler book might be more of a
reference work that also concentrates on scripting issues.

> You might try calling Bantam and see if
> they have firmed anything up yet, or call your local bookstore and ask for
> new Bantam arrivals.

Last time I called Bantam (about 4 weeks ago) they were saying
delivery on Goodman's book would be middle of July.  At that time, I
didn't know that the other two books existed.  But, since HC 2.0
hasn't seen a wide release yet, the schedule might have slipped some.

> John

jking
[sorry, but I can't find the Bantam 1-800 number]