[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Password problem

cs290ac@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (07/26/90)

I have 10 hypercard stacks which I created about a year ago.  The
person I created them for now needs to fix typos in fields.  The
problem is that someone else stuck password protections on all the
stacks, and I don't know what the password is.  Hypercard won't
even let me read the field from another stack.  I wanted to know if
there is a stack or program which can get through the password.  If
not, I'll have to have a go at it with a sector editor.  I doubt the
password would be there waiting for me in standard ascii, so what
I am also looking for is a program which will look at two files, and
tell me, what bytes exactly have been changed.  My logic is that if
I compare two copies of the same stack, one protected, one not, I
could figure out what hypercard does, and where the password is.
--I hope.

--RS

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of North Texas) (07/26/90)

--
Stack Developer has a XCMD (or XFCN, sp?) called DeProtect.  It will do the job
for you.  It is in Sumex if you don't have one.  Drop me a line if you can't

__Mouse.o()~
Dhanapong "Mouse" Saengrussamee ---+------------------------------------------
Technical Support, CECS Dept.,     | AppleLink : U1364 | BITNET : mouse@untvax
Technical Support, Texas Center    | BIX : d.mouse.s | CompuServe : 71301,1516
  for Educational Technology       | GENie : d.saengrussa | IP : 129.120.1.4
University of North Texas          | Internet : mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
PO Box 5155, Denton, TX 76203-5155 | SPAN : utspan::utandx::untvax::mouse
voice 817-565-4435 fax 817-565-4425| THENet : untvax::mouse
------------------- UUCP : {...!uunet!convex!iex}!ntvax!vaxb.acs.unt.edu!mouse

mhowitt@pro-angmar.UUCP (Matt Howitt) (07/30/90)

RS,

There is the DeProtect XFCN which is available in most utilities stacks like
101 Scripts and Buttons, Developers Stack, or Stack Starter.

Matt Howitt                |  InterNet: pro-angmar!mhowitt@alphalpha.com
Twisted-Pair Consulting    |  UUCP:     uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!mhowitt
---------------------------|  FidoNet:  Matt Howitt on 1:101/121
Go Sox ..err... Red Sox!   |  USnail:   20 Cutter St. Belmont, MA 02178