[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] "too much recursion" in netnews reader 1.2.1

piche@rapola.tut.fi (Robert Piche) (07/26/90)

the stack "netnews reader 1.2.1" sometimes gives the message "too much recursion" when I try to move from one message to the next.
Hypercard points to the following line of code from function vectorjoin
in the stack script:
   put sparserange(midlow,midhigh) into midpart

is this a bug? any fixes?

Robert Piche
Matematiikan laitos
Tampereen Teknillinen Korkeakoulu
PL 527, 33101 Tampere Finland

chesley@goofy.apple.com (Harry Chesley) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul26.111152.13582@assari.tut.fi> piche@rapola.tut.fi
(Robert Piche) writes:
> the stack "netnews reader 1.2.1" sometimes gives the message "too much
recursion" when I try to move from one message to the next.
> Hypercard points to the following line of code from function vectorjoin
> in the stack script:
>    put sparserange(midlow,midhigh) into midpart
>
> is this a bug? any fixes?

It is possible for the stack to run into this problem if you have a
particularly complex list of read-versus-unread messages. (Yes, it's a
bug.) The easiest thing to do is simplify the message list. Doing "mark
all messages as read" will essentially reset everything for that group. It
may be that it's still remembering that you haven't read messages which
aren't even around any more.