[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Repeat only for certain background

pbroenen@spanky.corp.sgi.com (Paul Broenen) (08/10/90)

HyperGods,

I'm moderately familiar with HyperCard, but I haven't yet figured out
how to handle this problem:  I want to loop through only those cards
in my stack which are of a particular background type.  (For aesthetic
reasons, I want to leave the screen unlocked so the cards will page by
during the loop.)  I have a Main card, Help card, etc. which I don't
want in the loop.

Is there a clean, non-cludge way of formatting my "repeat" statement
so that it loops through only one kind of background?

Thanks!
Paul

ccw@nvuxr.UUCP (christopher wood) (08/24/90)

In article <11601@odin.corp.sgi.com> pbroenen@spanky.corp.sgi.com (Paul Broenen) writes:

>HyperGods,

Please, I'm just a tinkerer...

>I'm moderately familiar with HyperCard, but I haven't yet figured out
>how to handle this problem:  I want to loop through only those cards
>in my stack which are of a particular background type.  (For aesthetic
>reasons, I want to leave the screen unlocked so the cards will page by
>during the loop.)  I have a Main card, Help card, etc. which I don't
>want in the loop.

>Is there a clean, non-cludge way of formatting my "repeat" statement
>so that it loops through only one kind of background?

>Thanks!
>Paul

How about
   Repeat for count = 1 to number of cards of bg "xyz"
     go next card of bg "xyz"
   end repeat

I usually think of these things, type them into unix, and then test them
(multifinder is wonderful!)

Change the "for" above to "with", and it'll work.

--
Chris Wood     Bellcore     ...!bellcore!nvuxr!ccw
                         or ccw@nvuxr.cc.bellcore.com