[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Some new bugs are old bugs

jk3t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan King) (08/24/90)

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of N. Texas writes:
> >                                  -akcs.stealth@vpnet.chi.il.us
> Well, a friend of my got a hold of my "beta" a fool around with it and
> found new bug.  We brought it up to the official beta-tester that we know,
> and yep, a new bug.  He just reported it to Apple.  (Can't have number as
> card name).

I very much doubt that this "new" bug will hold things up too long,
since it is a documented misfeature that is as old as Hypercard.  Page
35 of the Hypercard Script Language Guide mentions the specific case
of the problem that HyperCard has with:

card "1812" -- where 1812 is the name of the card

which Hypercard has always taken to be:

card 1812 --the card which is the 1812th card of the stack.

Yes, this has bitten me in the past, too.  And since HC 2.0 will still allow
unquoted literals all over the place, I am willing to bet this feature
is here for good.

And, if at this late date, they actually decided to hold back HC 2.0
to fix things like this, and the 'card "ten"' problem, I'd be a little
annoyed.

> Sorry, guys.....

No problem.  (Wish *I* had a beta to play with, though...)

> __Mouse.o()~
>
> Dhanapong Saengrussamee       | AppleLink: U1364 | BITNET: mouse@untvax

jking