[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Changing the cursor

sdh@vax2.twg.com ("Sari Harrison") (08/29/90)

Is there any way to do it?
I didn't see anything in what docs I have but I thought I would ask.  Have
some rather time consuming XFCNs and would like the user to know there is
something happening via the watch cursor.

Thanks,
Sari

This is only my opinion

dale@bcm.tmc.edu (Dale A. Samuelsen) (08/30/90)

In article <7861@gollum.twg.com> sdh@vax2.twg.com ("Sari Harrison") writes:
> Is there any way to do it?
> I didn't see anything in what docs I have but I thought I would ask. Have
> some rather time consuming XFCNs and would like the user to know there is
> something happening via the watch cursor.

There is a way to set the cursor to something other than the finger
cursor.  There are 8 cursor types built in to HyperCard.  The command
works as follows:

  set cursor to arrow
  set cursor to busy  (this one shows the beach ball & when in a loop will
rotate 45 degrees
                                  clockwise)
  set cursor to cross
  set cursor to hand
  set cursor to iBeam
  set cursor to plus
  set cursor to watch
  set cursor to none

Note that some of these will work only with HyperCard 1.2.

Hope this helps.

Dale

Dale A. Samuelsen
Baylor College of Medicine
dale@bcm.tmc.edu
--Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
those of Baylor College of Medicine.

rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU (John Rieman) (08/30/90)

Note that the "set cursor to ..." command only changes the
cursor for the duration of the currently-running script.
I've seen mention of an XCMD that does a more permanent job
of changing the cursor shape, but I've never run across the
XCMD itself.  Does anyone know where to get it?

-john
rieman@boulder.colorado.edu
University of Colorado