[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Question about extracting text from Hypercard ...

esimon@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/29/90)

Greetings.

I am not a regular reader of this group, but I have a question
that has been bothering me for some time, and I hope
you don't mind if I ask it, and humbly request a response via Email:

How can I extract text from my hypercard stacks, for downloading
onto a mainframe ?  My naive guess was to write a report
out to disk, and dump the file via Kermit, but, as you've probably
guessed, HyperCard won't write a report out to disk.  I figure
there must be a utility to perform the extraction function.
Can someone name one that I might be able to FTP anonymously ?

Your help is very much appreciated,

take care,

ejs

| Eric J. Simon       Harvard Univerity            HU GSAS BMCDB G2 |
|                     SIMON@HUXTAL.BITNET,  SIMON@XTAL0.HARVARD.EDU |

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug28.160744.32733@eagle.wesleyan.edu>
esimon@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>How can I extract text from my hypercard stacks, for downloading
>onto a mainframe ?

You'll need to write a script using the HyperTalk commands "open file",
"write <string> to file", and "close file". Here is an example:

  on mouseUp
    open file "My Report"   -- creates it if it doesn't already exist
    repeat with x = 1 to the number of cards
      write (field "Text" of card x) & return to file "My Report"
    end repeat
    close file "My Report"
  end mouseUp
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (09/01/90)

In article <44473@apple.Apple.COM> jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes:
>In article <1990Aug28.160744.32733@eagle.wesleyan.edu>
>esimon@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>>How can I extract text from my hypercard stacks, for downloading
>>onto a mainframe ?
>
>You'll need to write a script using the HyperTalk commands "open file",
>"write <string> to file", and "close file". Here is an example:

Or use stackdumper. You can find it available for anonymous ftp from
nic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100). It's in hyper dir and called
stackdumper20.sit

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ================================
| P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland  (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465) |