[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Fonts and HyperCard

marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) (03/06/89)

I wish to add a font to a HyperCard stack but am unable to figure out
where to obtain the appropriate resources.  I want to add a 14 point
Helvetica bold.  I note that simply using resedit to copy in the
Helvetica FOND resource and a 14 point Helvetica FONT resource does
not work.  I note also that the author of the Apple Mac CX stack has done
something similar to what I want to do, but that it uses Garamond
instead.  I can copy the FONT resource for Garamond into my stack and
it works fine with textsize 14, textstyle bold, and textfont "b
garamond bold".  Can someone explain briefly where I can get a
resource for "b helvetica bold" in 14pt and why it is that simple
helvetica resources don't work?  Thanks.  (References also would be
appreciated.  My large collection of HyperCard books seems not to be
concerned about this issue.)

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (03/07/89)

In article <38295@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) writes:
>I wish to add a font to a HyperCard stack ...

The easiest way to add a font to a HyperCard stack is to use the Font/DA
Mover. If you hold down the option key while clicking "Open..." in the
Font/DA Mover, you can choose any file (not just DA files and System files).
Then move the desired font into the stack in the normal way. F/DA Mover will
move the necessary FOND into the stack as well.

>...  Can someone explain briefly where I can get a
>resource for "b helvetica bold" in 14pt and why it is that simple

This is a different question. The Macintosh uses a "smearing" algorithm
to display boldface fonts. However, on a LaserWriter, better results are
obtained if a different font is specially constructed for each style. Adobe
makes screen fonts available for all the LaserWriter+/LW NT fonts in
plain, bold, italic, and bold italic. "B Helvetica Bold" is the name of
the special Adobe font for bold Helvetica.

jeanne a. e. devoto
jdevoto@apple.com

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (03/08/89)

In article <38295@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> marvel@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) writes:

>I wish to add a font to a HyperCard stack but am unable to figure out
>where to obtain the appropriate resources.  I want to add a 14 point
>Helvetica bold.  I note that simply using resedit to copy in the
>Helvetica FOND resource and a 14 point Helvetica FONT resource does
>not work.  I note also that the author of the Apple Mac CX stack has done
>something similar to what I want to do, but that it uses Garamond
>instead.  I can copy the FONT resource for Garamond into my stack and
>it works fine with textsize 14, textstyle bold, and textfont "b
>garamond bold".  Can someone explain briefly where I can get a
>resource for "b helvetica bold" in 14pt and why it is that simple
>helvetica resources don't work?  Thanks.  (References also would be
>appreciated.  My large collection of HyperCard books seems not to be
>concerned about this issue.)

This is NOT a HyperCard problem, but a general Adobe font weirdness.
Adobe makes some screen fonts that are always bold, always italic, etc.,
in order that they really look good.  (Traditional font design has made
bold and italic fonts completely separately, whereas the Mac kind of
cheats and can modify a basic roman font to be bold or italic.)

Anyway, "b garamond bold" is one of these strange fonts.  There may be a
helvetica version around, but they cause problems.  SuitCase II comes
with a program called Font Harmonizer that helps deal with these
problems.  My personal solution is not to mess with them.

Dan Allen

anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (03/10/89)

In article <26866@apple.Apple.COM> jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes:

>The easiest way to add a font to a HyperCard stack is to use the Font/DA
>Mover.

This will add the font to the stack, but there are two potential problems:
 1. If the font family is present in the System file (it usually is), there
    can be massive confusion. It is necessary to put all sizes that are to
    be used into the stack in this case.

 2. Even so, I would be wary about adding this sort of resource to a stack.
    During startup, HyperCard apparently makes a behind-the-scenes visit to
    the Home stack, after opening your stack. In doing so, it temporarily
    closes the resource fork of the stack, thereby invalidating any handles
    to resources in that stack. This could cause the Font Manager some grief.

    NOTE: This is only a problem if the first card displayed after launching
    HyperCard uses the resource (in this case the font) you have added to
    the stack. If you can guarantee that the first card of the stack won't
    use the added font, you should be ok. Otherwise, watch out!!
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM

hmarvel@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) (09/08/90)

I have a series of stacks that I intend to distribute commercially.
I've used helvetica and new century schlbk for display and running
text, respectively.  Can anyone offer advice on whether I should
include the fonts in my distributed version and, if so, how one goes
about licensing fonts?  I assume I need to ship the fonts since I
cannot assume that all Apple owners have them installed.  If you have
an alternative suggestion, perhaps another font, the substitute font
must have virtually the exact character spacing since I have painted
in a number of subscripts and special characters.

Has anyone licensed screen fonts from Adobe?  Apple does NOT license
these fonts, even though it ships them.  Could a kind soul send me an
address for an appropriate Adobe contact?

Two unrelated matters.
1.  I am informed that Egghead stocks ConvertIt, and that it is
verrrry slow.  Mac Connection does not have it.
2.  My local bookstore now has three Bantam books on HyperCard 2.0.  I
did not buy the new Goodman, not wishing to be twice burned.  I have
Cooking with HyperTalk by Winkler and Knaster and I just got HyperTalk
2.0: The Book, by Winkler and Kamins.  The latter looks like it will
be the reference of choice for HyperTalk, replacing the HyperTalk
Script Language Reference Guide.  The book shows signs of its hasty
preparation, but also appears both lively and comprehensive. It shares
the Goodman tendency to bloat the discussion, witness:

p. 12: "Each message has a target - the object on the message passing
path that the message goes to first" and so on for a paragraph
p. 18: "Every message has a target - the object that gets the first
chance to respond to the message." and another paragraph.
The same thing is repeated on p. 86, but that's ok since the latter
treatment appears in a very good reference section.  The index lists
entries for target on pages 18 and 86, but not 12.

More evidence on haste appears on p. 13 - the first full paragraph
contains a sentence fragment, sentences beginning with But and So,
neither of which is appropriate, and a typo (or a long message).
These would be easier to overlook if the beast cost less than $29.95.
There are a few other disappointments.  The book is supposed to be for
"techies" as well as intermediate scripters, but important information
is still missing, as in the discussion of "palette navigator" where
the book punts.  It would be really nice if one could somehow get to
be a registered reader and obtain appropriate updates.

Despite this carping, it appears that HyperTalk 2.0 is The Book to
buy.  If you want to convince yourself of this, pick up a copy in the
bookstore, turn to the Target discussion on p. 86, and ask yourself if
you would have known the information there.  Try the same for pages
127 and 332.  Unless your name is Jeanne DeVoto, I suspect that the
answer will be no.