[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] PC HyperCard clones

hmarvel@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) (09/11/90)

I have seen a number of remarks about PC HyperCard versions, but
little that suggests that the remark is based on hands-on experience.
I got to try ToolBook yesterday running on a 33mhz PC.  It was not
optimized as per the ToolBook manual, but I was not supposed to fool
with CONFIG.SYS on the machine.  ToolBook suggests FILES=40,
BUFFERS=40, and my settings appeared to be BUFFERS=10, FILES=30.  With
this caveat, the performance was simply atrocious.  Has anyone had
experience with running ToolBook with varying settings for these
parameters? Does it make a big difference?  ToolBook looks great, but
with this sort of performance, those who compare it to HyperCard on a
Plus are being unfair to Apple.

My second query regards PLUS, the HyperCard clone that supposedly
makes translation to both Windows and the Presentation Manager
relatively painless.  Can anyone offer some impressions about
performance?

Thanks in advance.

lowersbp@infonode.ingr.com (Ben P Lowers) (09/12/90)

I have used PLUS on the Macintosh for a couple of months.  It IS
essentially HyperCard 1.2.5 plus some stuff, minus some speed.  We
specifically needed it for putting gray scales in the card window so
that we could put buttons on top of them...  It has a funny tool
pallette/message box thingamujig, but it does offer all kinds of
styled fields and graphics objects like polygons.  And it beats the
pants off of SuperCard with regards to stack development turnaround
time.  Also, there are a lot of authoring-related things that you CAN'T
do in SuperCard, that you CAN do in PLUS, and even HyperCard, such as

  choose the brush tool
  domenu "Paste" (some PICT or paint graphic was on the Clipboard)
  choose the browse tool

I couldn't do that in SuperCard.  But with PLUS, if the Clipboard has
a color or gray scale PICT in it - BOOM! You've got an awesome card
window, all done for the user at the scripting level.

I have also seen a Beta of PLUS for Windows 3.0.  It is essentially
the Mac version ON A PC.  I saw it on a 16MHz XT, and it didn't fly,
It was a bit slower than Hypercard 1.0 on a Macintosh Plus.  But the
key is, it brings just about ALL of that capibility to the PC!  But
NO XCMDs and NO XFCNs.  Maybe the announced Slot Developer's Toolkit
will solve all of the problems with externals.  It doesn't sound near
as bad as the reports we getting about how BAD ToolBook is.  For you
own Beta, you can apply with:

Spinnaker Software
Cambridge, MA
(617) 494-1200

Good luck, and anyway, running HyperCard 2.0 or PLUS on a Macintosh
is a lot less grief...
--
Ben Lowers                      | Intergraph Corp.
  lowersbp@ingr.com    or       | Huntsville,AL  35894-0001

alcmist@well.sf.ca.us (Frederick Wamsley) (09/13/90)

In article <4581@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> hmarvel@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Howard P. Marvel) writes:
>I got to try ToolBook yesterday running on a 33mhz PC.  It was not
>optimized as per the ToolBook manual, but I was not supposed to fool
>with CONFIG.SYS on the machine.  ToolBook suggests FILES=40,
>BUFFERS=40, and my settings appeared to be BUFFERS=10, FILES=30.  With
>this caveat, the performance was simply atrocious.  Has anyone had
>experience with running ToolBook with varying settings for these
>parameters?

Toolbook can be pretty disk-intensive so you should see a real improvement
from anything that speeds up disk access.  The single most important variable
is the amount of RAM available to Windows.  If it's less than 1M performance
will be atrocious indeed.  From 1M to 1.5M it's still slow.  By 2M or so it's
leveled off.

The first thing to try, though, is switching Toolbook from color to
black&white (which incidentally makes it more comparable to Hypercard).
Setting startupSysColors=false in the Toolbook section of WIN.INI (the
Windows 3.0 configuration file) will give you large and unmistakable
speedups.  This will reduce the memory demands too.

(Should this move to comp.windows.ms?  I'm not sure I should be talking
about my employer's product in comp.sys.mac.hypercard).
--
Fred Wamsley  {ucbvax,pacbell,apple,hplabs}!well!alcmist;
CIS 72247,3130; GEnie FKWAMSLEY; USPS - why bother?

LB7@psuvm.psu.edu (Lorinda L. Brader) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep12.143927.7489@infonode.ingr.com>, lowersbp@infonode.ingr.com
(Ben P Lowers) says:

>It doesn't sound near
>as bad as the reports we getting about how BAD ToolBook is.

Although ToolBook is considerably slower, in general the features of ToolBook
blow HyperCard 1.2 right out of the water!  However, HyperCard 2.0 and ToolBook
are very similar.  There are some features of ToolBook that are better than
HyperCard 2.0 and some that are not as good as those in HyperCard 2.0.  (One
that is worse is speed of execution.)

Overall the concepts and functionality of HyperCard 2.0 and ToolBook are very
similar.