[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] 2.0 Hypercard goes GOLD

TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu (09/12/90)

Hypercard 2.0 has been reported to have gone GOLD last week I believe. SO, you
should see it ship real soon.

The deal will be something like this. They will offer the full package with new
Macs for a couple of months. Then they will all ship with a skimpy set of
manuals with the full set optional at additional cost.

I don't think anyone at Apple is allowed to confirm this but who knows!!!!

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (09/13/90)

In article <92328@cc.utah.edu> TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
>Hypercard 2.0 has been reported to have gone GOLD last week I believe. SO, you
>should see it ship real soon.
>
>The deal will be something like this. They will offer the full package with new
>Macs for a couple of months. Then they will all ship with a skimpy set of
>manuals with the full set optional at additional cost.
>
>I don't think anyone at Apple is allowed to confirm this but who knows!!!!

I'm not allowed to confirm whether I'm allowed to confirm anything.

:-)

Kevin Calhoun
Software engineer
Apple Computer

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (09/13/90)

In article <44743@apple.Apple.COM>, jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:
> In article <92328@cc.utah.edu> TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
>>Hypercard 2.0 has been reported to have gone GOLD last week I believe. SO, you
>>should see it ship real soon.
>>
>>The deal will be something like this. They will offer the full package with new
>>Macs for a couple of months. Then they will all ship with a skimpy set of
>>manuals with the full set optional at additional cost.
>>
>>I don't think anyone at Apple is allowed to confirm this but who knows!!!!
>

> I'm not allowed to confirm whether I'm allowed to confirm anything.

But are you allowed to deny that you're not allowed to confirm whether
you're allowed to confirm anything?

If you wanted to calm the angry natives, perhaps you could post a
HyperCard 1.2 version of the stack "Top 10 Reasons Why HyperCard 2.0
Has Not Shipped Yet" to this group? You know, the one you showed at
the User Group Breakfast at Boston Macworld. Just a thought, as I hear
the knives being sharpened and the pot being brought to a boil.

:-)  :-)  :-)  :-)

                                cheers ---- Adam

--
Adam C. Engst                         pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
Editor of TidBITS, the weekly electronic Macintosh news journal

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (09/14/90)

> If you wanted to calm the angry natives, perhaps you could post a
> HyperCard 1.2 version of the stack "Top 10 Reasons Why HyperCard 2.0
> Has Not Shipped Yet" to this group? You know, the one you showed at
> the User Group Breakfast at Boston Macworld. Just a thought, as I hear
> the knives being sharpened and the pot being brought to a boil.
>
> :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)

Well, Adam, if you'd been taking notes you could have published them in
TidBITS.  But, OK, here goes.  I'll post them here.

The Top 10 Reasons HyperCard 2.0 Has Not Yet Shipped

Disclaimer:  It's all lies.  Lies lies lies.

These lies are fictitious.  Any similarity to actual lies, fibs, or
prevarications is purely coincidental.

These lies are the property of the HyperCard Development Team.  Any
rebroadcast, retransmission, or use of the pictures, descriptions,
and accounts of these lies without the express written consent of
the HyperCard Development Team would really be a bad thing, and in
poor taste too.

Additional Disclaimer:  These are last month's lies.  This month's
lies are very different.

10.  Bill left without telling us how it worked.

9.   We were saving it as a going-away present for Jean-Louis.

8.   It tooks months to get the color out after we discovered
     that the manuals didn't mention it.

7.   We introduced it at the annual developers' conference,
     and we thought there was a rule that says that anything
     you introduce at a developers' conference you can't ship
     until after the next developers' conference.

6.   Bowling shirts just take longer than T-shirts.

5.   For most of us, it was a great way to avoid sweltering
     in Boston in August.

4.   It took months to devise all those phony seed releases,
     with all those phony bugs, which we were doing only as a
     clever ruse, of course.

3.   Nobody told us you were supposed to finish the thing first.

2.   Howard Spira had his money on System 7.0.

1.   We couldn't ship until we had tested it with the new
     Macintosh LX, the one with the impressive performance,
     quiet ride, and distinctive styling, all for under $25,000.
     See your dealer today.

Kevin Calhoun
Software engineer
Apple Computer

gwowen@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (George Owen) (09/14/90)

In article <44743@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

>I'm not allowed to confirm whether I'm allowed to confirm anything.

    ... can anyone in the known universe confirm this ??   :-)

      -  G -

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (09/14/90)

In article <44787@apple.Apple.COM>, jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:
>> If you wanted to calm the angry natives, perhaps you could post a
>> HyperCard 1.2 version of the stack "Top 10 Reasons Why HyperCard 2.0
>> Has Not Shipped Yet" to this group? You know, the one you showed at
>> the User Group Breakfast at Boston Macworld. Just a thought, as I hear
>> the knives being sharpened and the pot being brought to a boil.
>>
>> :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)
>
> Well, Adam, if you'd been taking notes you could have published them in
> TidBITS.  But, OK, here goes.  I'll post them here.

As I said in TidBITS when I reported on this stuff, "I stopped taking
notes when I graduated from Cornell, so you'll have to guess what they
[the reasons] are." If I can't copy and paste, I can't use the
information :-). Besides, it's awfully hard to copy such remarks
quickly without losing a bunch of the good parts.

> These lies are the property of the HyperCard Development Team.  Any
> rebroadcast, retransmission, or use of the pictures, descriptions,
> and accounts of these lies without the express written consent of
> the HyperCard Development Team would really be a bad thing, and in
> poor taste too.

Well, being faced with the prospect of doing a bad thing and being in
poor taste and possibly having massive tooth rot as a result, can I
(pretty please) use this in TidBITS this week? If you don't respond in
a few days, I'll assume Apple Legal has you tied up somewhere and is
torturing you for not running the above paragraph past them first. If
you must say no because of the Apple Legal spook by your side with a
gun, do it in email to save my delicate ego, please.

> Additional Disclaimer:  These are last month's lies.  This month's
> lies are very different.

Lies lies lies. Don't believe him, folks, he's lying. They are exactly
the same as last month's lies. Of course I may be lying too.

> Kevin Calhoun
> Software engineer
> Apple Computer

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...  :-) :-)

 cheers...Adam