[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Which HyperCard 2.0 book is best?????

TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu (09/14/90)

Someone posted a comment a little while back about which HyperCard 2.0 book
is the one to get. Could someone reiterate that for me please.

Thanks.

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design
University of Utah

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (09/15/90)

In article <92887@cc.utah.edu> TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
>Someone posted a comment a little while back about which HyperCard 2.0 book
>is the one to get. Could someone reiterate that for me please.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Tony Jacobs
>Center for Engineering Design
>University of Utah

I don't recall the particular posting you mention, but I recently
bought three books on HC 2.0.  They are the 3rd edition of Danny
Goodman's book and the two new books by Winkler et. al. on
Hypertalk.  Capsule reviews:
  Goodman:  better organized, less trivia than the first two editions,
		IMHO.  A good beginner's manual.  Fairly lightweight
		on scripting, but more better in this area than
		the earlier versions.
  Winkler, et. al. Hyperscript Manual (not the actual title, sorry)
	Excellent!  Knows all, tells all -- even to pointing out all
		the obscure bugs in the HC 1.2.x interpreter.  A
		MUST BUY for serious scripters.
  Winkler, et. al. Hyperscript Cookbook
		 (or should that be CookBook, :-))
		Not bad.  Gives some neat-o tricks for better
scripting.
		Comes with a disk with source code.  Of course, you
can't
		RUN the damn thing until HC 2.0 is released!

Sorry I don't have the exact titles at my fingertips.  However,
they're
all published in ppb by Bantam.

-Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com

jk3t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan King) (09/15/90)

TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes:
> Someone posted a comment a little while back about which HyperCard 2.0 book
> is the one to get. Could someone reiterate that for me please.

If what you are really interested in is the many, many new features in the
HyperTalk language, and also want extensive documentation of
bugs/anomalies/special features of HyperTalk in versions 1.2x, then
the book you want is:

Winkler, Dan & Kamins, Scot.  HyperTalk 2.0:  The Book.
1990: Bantam.  **958 pages**.  ISBN 0-553-34737-3.
US$ 29.95, CAN$ 37.95.

The book ain't perfect, (there are a bunch of weird typos, and the
style is sometimes loose and the index isn't really awesome) but it's
the best description of HyperTalk 1.2 I have ever seen.  I expect it
will be just as authoratative about version 2.0.

And, yes, the first author is the guy who designed HyperTalk in the
first place.

> Thanks.
>
> Tony Jacobs
> Center for Engineering Design