[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hype 2.0, Claris, and confusion

bparsia@eagle.wesleyan.edu (09/27/90)

Perhaps the real issue here is not Hypercard with an Apple label or Hypercard
with a Claris label (or runtime/developer Hypercard) but the relationship
between Apple and Claris, and the relationship between Apple and 'application
software'.

Remember, Claris' orginal raison-d'etre was to placate angry third party
developers who thought that Apple had an unfair advantage in developing
applications (though, IMHO, not more so than Microsoft; Apple might control the
hardware, but they make damn sure Microsoft apps run). Thus, Claris was born
so that Apple could remain the hardware (any sys. software) company that it is.

Dateline 1990: 'WIN-3' (ugh, DOS in sheeps clothing) enters the scene. (The
pundits and DOS-weary cry, "Yeah! Apple's dead!") Now, Apple decides to keep
Claris as a wholely owned subsiderary99(ught) (This has to make Apple the
biggest Indian giver ever--saving, of course, the U.S.) *Then*, Apple decides
to give Hypercard to Claris.

Other events of note. Apple trys to sink Adobe with TrueType and TrueImage.
Apple promises e-mail hooks for Sys 7 (and then promises even more e-mail
support). So, I ask, what the hell is going on?

Does Apple want to compete or not? Does it care? Why don't they give AppleMail
to Claris?

Why does Apple leave so many things to third parties? Suitcase, Multiclip (and
any scrapbook enhancment),and all the other neat utilities (a *decent* backup
program) that reviewer say are so important that Apple should make them system
software are nonetheless *not* system software, and in fact,often pricy. There
is a perfectly good utility for on the fly outline fonts (ATM) which is cheap
and now with 2.0 it's eve fast(er--so I'm told), yet Apple feels the need to
come up with its own system.

I think Apple has serious personality conflicts, and I'm not surprised. In the
the DOS world, you can buy a clone that comes with *serious* free software (I
saw one offer that not only included and full office worth of programs--such
as, Quattro Pro--but if you bought the built in CD-ROM was bundled with 10 or
so disks rangin from dictionarys [English *&* foriegn language] to encylopedias
and on). This is nice. This makes the purchase simple. This gives a lot of
value for your money. Sure the softeware ain't pretty, but it works. I, myself,
am seriously tempted by such an offer.

Now Apple can't bundle. (Why not?) VAR is  not standard for the average Mac
buyer. I would (and maybe Apple does as well?) see this as a threat.

Moral: Things are confusing on Management Way.

Now, Hypercard.

Hypercard is a program type thing. It is (was) bundled. It adds (added) to
Apple confusion. (Calling it system software fooled no one, which is a
SHAME--more on this later)

Moral: Hypercard now belongs to Claris which belongs to Apple which means that
the average person is confused as well.

Is Claris a part of Apple or not? Why have different names as it just adds to
the confusion and gives up the powerful advantage of the Apple label? Granted,
Claris has a positive rep in the Mac world, but I am thinking about novice
types--you know, the ones that buy IBM Officevision.

*****Better yet. Keep the Claris label for the stuff we now think of as Claris
products (MacWrite et al.), and keep Hypercard an Apple labeled product.
Development, support, phone help (if they don't have dedicated Hypercard lines,
then they'll be in trouble--this eliminates the two name trouble, "Hi,
Hypercard tech help, everyone is busy so please hold...") can all be handled by
Claris masquerading as Apple.*****************

Remember, when Claris orginally formed, they were more than fair in their
upgrade/support policies for the Apple label stuff. One can hope for similar
kindness with Hypercard.

There is no summation, as this post is rather confused. There is, however, a
plan of action:

Which, unfortunately will have to wait for the next post, as I'm off to a
movie.

Bijan J. Parsia

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.190526.33588@eagle.wesleyan.edu> bparsia@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>Does Apple want to compete or not? Does it care? Why don't they give AppleMail
>to Claris?

  What's AppleMail?  It hasn't been announced, or even admitted.  It
certainly isn't in the System 7 alpha release, which I'm running, and it
hasn't been mentioned as even a possible future direction.  In fact, every
time Apple people have been asked on the record about it they've denied that
they will create an application-level mail product.

-- Mark Wilkins

P.S.  Perhaps you're thinking, say, of AppleScript, my #1 reason to stick
with the Mac a few more years before giving up. :-)
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *