[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hype 2.0, Claris,

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (09/27/90)

In article <8682@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
> In article <1990Sep26.190526.33588@eagle.wesleyan.edu> bparsia@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>>Does Apple want to compete or not? Does it care? Why don't they give AppleMail
>>to Claris?
>

>   What's AppleMail?  It hasn't been announced, or even admitted.  It
> certainly isn't in the System 7 alpha release, which I'm running, and it
> hasn't been mentioned as even a possible future direction.  In fact, every
> time Apple people have been asked on the record about it they've denied that
> they will create an application-level mail product.

Remember this from last decade.

Subject: System 7.0 Disclosure (LONG)
From: mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson)
Date: 9 May 89 15:13:43 GMT

[lot deleted]

New Finder

The Finder is the most visible piece of Macintosh System Software.
All Macintosh users interact with the Finder to copy files, launch
applications and to manage system resources.  The new Finder will
provide users with more intuitive system management capabilities
as well as additional power.  The new Finder will also be
extensible so that functions like electronic mail and disk backup
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
can be integrated into the intuitive desktop metaphor.

[end of quote]

OK, it does not say AppleMail, but the _rumours_ from comp.sys.mac.system over
the past few months (sorry no references) were that mail is ready but will not
be in 7.0 since some of the dependent s/ware was on the dropped list.

This is all rumour, but so was the one about the Apple FTP site, "free" HC 2.0,
system 7.0 by early 90 etc.  Maybe I'll wake up in the morning and find that
this has all been a nightmare.

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA