[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] how to find your version

jk3t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan King) (09/27/90)

Q8N@psuvm.psu.edu (Scott D. Camp) writes:
> Actually, HC 2.0 has been given to my university for public distribution. It
> is a free upgrade, takes 5 800K floppies (of course, the 'tour' takes one of
> these five), and appears to be a really good product.

Hmm.  I'll have to check this out here at CMU...

> [praise for the product deleted]
>
> Even though I have HC 2.0, I have no idea of which 'version' I possess.
> However, I can assure you that it is completely scriptable (is that a word?).

To find out the version you have, just type:

the long version

in the message box.  This returns an 8-digit hexadecimal string like
"01258000" which can be parsed as "01 2 5 80 00" where the first two
digits give the major version number, the third digit the minor
revision number, the third gives the bug fix revision number, and and
the last four digits give info about development stage and internal
revision numbers.  If the stage number is "80", then you have a
released version; "60" is a beta, anything else means you probably
work in the Hypercard Group at Apple...  So the example above is
version 1.2.5 final.

> So, I would assume that Chuq is correct in stating that HC 2.0 has only one
> real version and the differences announced in the press release are not
> substantial for 2.0. But as Chuq notes, who knows about release 2.x.

Certainly not me...

> Scott D. Camp   Q8N@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

jking