[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard sellout

ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (LaSota Daniel K) (09/23/90)

The mood here in Fairbanks amongst HyperCard developers is generally
depressive.  Its true that we don't know the whole story about the new
distribution of HyperCard but we do have a real sick feeling about it.
Maybe I should cross post to alt.angst

Dan LaSota
FTDKL%ALASKA.BITNET@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu  (best)
ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu                    (if you must)

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep22.224859.20395@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu writes:
>The mood here in Fairbanks amongst HyperCard developers is generally
>depressive.  Its true that we don't know the whole story about the new
>distribution of HyperCard but we do have a real sick feeling about it.
>Maybe I should cross post to alt.angst

I also got an immediate feeling of gloom when reading the press release.
Gee whiz, Apple!  Couldn't you have considered the timing of this one
a little better?  Consider:

	-- HC 2.0 is already quite late.  I think that most people of
		good will were assuming that the delay was for valid
		technical reasons;  something quite understandable, and
		for which we were all willing to give Apple as much time
		as needed to straighten things out.  Now, however, a
		"reasonable observer" might very well wonder how much
		of the delay is attributable to the political decision
		to transfer the product to Claris

	-- Claris has been making itself unpopular lately by the
		unprecedented (for them) delay in shipping Filemaker Pro;
		and it looks as if Claris CAD 2.0 will be late as well.
		Now they can a chance to add months to HC 2.0, too.

	-- The press release is totally unclear as to whether Claris
		is adding any value of its own to HC 2.0.  Since all
		the news has said that HC 2.0 had already "gone golden"
		while still an in-house Apple product, outsiders may
		well assume that this first release from Claris will
		change only the splash screen and the box color -- and,
		of course, add another 1-2 months delay.

	-- The single largest virtue of HC was its universality.
		Now, however, it's just another development system,
		with some strengths but also major weaknesses compared
		to competing systems.

Wouldn't it have been better to ship HC 2.0 as an Apple product and THEN
announce the transition to Claris while we were all happily playing
with our new toys?  My feeling is that Apple has tossed away tremendous
amounts of good will by timing this decision they way it did.

The usual disclaimers apply.  Return flames cheerfully accepted.

-Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com

stm@apple.com (Steve Maller) (09/25/90)

ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (LaSota Daniel K) writes:
> The mood here in Fairbanks amongst HyperCard developers is generally
> depressive.  Its true that we don't know the whole story about the new
> distribution of HyperCard but we do have a real sick feeling about it.

Don't worry too much yet. We here on the engineering team haven't yet
heard the fat lady sing. And if the old broad sings the _wrong_ tune, I
personally will strangle her. We are fighting for what we all know is
the Right Thing...

Steve Maller
HyperCard Engineering Team
Apple Computer

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (09/25/90)

Okay - here's my 2 cents worth - just before our dreaded VAT (Value added tax)
takes it to 2.07 cents, my price.

I understand from a recent talk with a guy who heard from a girl who knows,
etc.  that Claris has indeed settled on two versions.  The packaged version for
distribution with Macs will be run-time, and the authoring system will be
commercially distributed, no price set yet.

I know, I know! just more rumor - but I have always valued the source, and he
did just return from visiting Apple in their lovely home base in sunny
California.

The plot thickens - as does my blood.  This is an unnice thing to do
Apple-Claris - especially to the people who have done such a good job of
promoting HC (and the Mac) to enquiring minds looking for experienced answers
when they want to buy a computer.  Re-think this insane two version idea!

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (09/25/90)

In article <10388@goofy.Apple.COM> stm@apple.com (Steve Maller) writes:
>In article <1990Sep22.224859.20395@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>
>ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (LaSota Daniel K) writes:
>> distribution of HyperCard but we do have a real sick feeling about it.
>Don't worry too much yet. We here on the engineering team haven't yet
>heard the fat lady sing. And if the old broad sings the _wrong_ tune, I
>personally will strangle her. We are fighting for what we all know is
>the Right Thing...

Hmm. I don't want to start flaming but where were the fighting
mentality of yours when they stopped thinking of ftp'able
Hypercard v2.0 ? I'm still bitter about it and don't even think
that the press release was any better.

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ================================
  P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland  (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

Jim.Matthews@dartmouth.edu (Jim Matthews) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep25.054326.22994@uwasa.fi>, hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE)
writes:
> Hmm. I don't want to start flaming but where were the fighting
> mentality of yours when they stopped thinking of ftp'able
> Hypercard v2.0 ? I'm still bitter about it and don't even think
> that the press release was any better.

Whoa.  Steve and Kevin and the other HyperCard engineers didn't make the
decision to pull HC 2.0 from ftp access, and they didn't decide to make a
runtime version.  In fact, they have been remarkably candid about their
resistance to those moves.  The decision to move HC to Claris (and therefore
to restrict free access to it) was presumably made at a very high level,
and I imagine there's little that the HC team could have done to sway Apple
management.

Let's just hope that their efforts do succeed in heading off a runtime-only
HC binary.  It's hard to tell whether that decision has been made yet, so
input from users and developers who don't want to deal with two HyperCards
may still be worth something.

Jim Matthews
Dartmouth Software Development
--

jpm@cs.hut.fi (Jussi-Pekka Mantere) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep25.054326.22994@uwasa.fi> hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE):

   ... when they stopped thinking of ftp'able
   Hypercard v2.0 ? I'm still bitter about it and don't even think
   that the press release was any better.

[ IMHO, that's the general problem, too many bitter people around ... ]

To give the folks at Apple the benefit of doubt, I'll make up my mind
when I see what's going to be available at ftp.apple.com.
As Mark B. Johnson put it:

   From: mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer,comp.sys.mac.misc

   On another note, as soon as we get through the legal hassles that
   the transfer of HyperCard to Claris and European System Software
   are causing, we will open the new FTP site...until then, hang tight.

Can you see some light at the end of the tunnel? Well, maybe you
wouldn't, but I'd rather wait and see than go blindly fruit-squashing...

BTW, I'd be more upset about not having Apple Finland around than
about not being able to ftp HyperCard.

Chape

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (09/25/90)

In article <24691@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> Jim.Matthews@dartmouth.edu
(Jim Matthews) writes:

> Whoa.  Steve and Kevin and the other HyperCard engineers didn't make the
> decision to pull HC 2.0 from ftp access, and they didn't decide to make a
> runtime version.  In fact, they have been remarkably candid about their
> resistance to those moves.  The decision to move HC to Claris (and therefore
> to restrict free access to it) was presumably made at a very high level,
> and I imagine there's little that the HC team could have done to sway Apple
> management.
>
> Let's just hope that their efforts do succeed in heading off a runtime-only
> HC binary.  It's hard to tell whether that decision has been made yet, so
> input from users and developers who don't want to deal with two HyperCards
> may still be worth something.

Jim's right.  Please just tell us what you think about the decision, and
we'll do our best to present your views to the right folks.  We've already
sent a truckload of postings on their way down the forwarding chain.

In the meantime, I'm sure it's best if Steve, Martin, and I leave our
personal feelings out of the public discussion.

Kevin Calhoun
Lead Engineer, HyperCard 2.0
Present Company Notwithstanding

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (09/26/90)

In article <10388@goofy.Apple.COM> stm@apple.com (Steve Maller) writes:
>In article <1990Sep22.224859.20395@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>
>ftdkl@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (LaSota Daniel K) writes:
>> The mood here in Fairbanks amongst HyperCard developers is generally
>> depressive.  Its true that we don't know the whole story about the new
>> distribution of HyperCard but we do have a real sick feeling about it.
>
>Don't worry too much yet. We here on the engineering team haven't yet
>heard the fat lady sing. And if the old broad sings the _wrong_ tune, I
>personally will strangle her. We are fighting for what we all know is
>the Right Thing...
>
>Steve Maller
>HyperCard Engineering Team
>Apple Computer

What I think the right thing to do is to make sure everyone gets a HyperCard
version which can read, write, create -- just like in the past, and just like
a pencil. Low cost, functional tool. A run time version is yesterdays
marketing ideas today, very backwards. HyperCard is very close to the tool
for doing hyperInfo because anyone can use it and change it. In terms of
selling more hardware for Apple -- I do think they make more money from
Hardware than from Software -- this makes sense, in terms of Claris, they
would like to skim the loot. This is not a user-friendly happening from
Apple. Just a little vision would be nice. Maybe Apple could hire Stallman
from GNU for a little consulting.

I was just at the MacAcademy at Berkeley this weekend. Speaker after speaker
said that the power of HyperCard was that the user is in control. Run-time
versions take away that control.

This is not directed at Steve Maller, it is directed at the Soda salesman.

Let's send all our empty pepsi cans to Apple in protest.

HyperCard was supposed to make the Memex come true.

--Thom Gillespie

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/26/90)

----
In article <45126@apple.Apple.COM>, jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes...
[...]
>Jim's right.  Please just tell us what you think about the decision, and
>we'll do our best to present your views to the right folks.  We've already
>sent a truckload of postings on their way down the forwarding chain.

OK, here's what I think about the decision, based on what little I know about
it: I would begin an earnest search for saboteurs in the upper ranks of Apple
management.

I say this tongue-in-cheek of course, but I really have to wonder why anyone
would decide to just throw away one of Apple's competitive advantages vis-a-vis
Windows: the bundling of a complete personal development system with every
computer sold.  Contrast this with ToolBook, or whatever it's called.  It
really seems that this move can only hurt Apple and help Microsoft.

I've got an MBA, and as much as I'll defend Apple, I'm really left somewhat
bewildered by management decisions during the last 2 years.

Thanks for forwarding it on.  No one blames the engineers.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

gollman@tuvie (Georg Gollman) (09/26/90)

Just for the record: In the HC 2.0 Training Course stack (on the
Disky Business CD-ROM) there is a section "Common User Questions".
One of the items reads:
Q: Is Apple planning to unbundle HyperCard ?
A: Absolutely not. HyperCard is a key piece of the Apple platform.
It offers functionality that our users expect, and Apple will continue
to offer and enhance that functionality.

So what's going on. Is the press release a fake or has the developer
community been wilfully misinformed (note the restrained wording,
it has been a major effort 1/4 :-).

Dipl. Ing. Georg Gollmann                 USENET:       gollman@tuvie.at
TU Wien, EDVZ                             BITNET: gollmann@egraph.una.at

cpk@valideast.COM (NANJIL NESAN) (09/26/90)

I join the ranks of the disappointed and bitter. We have just
developed a hypercard based analysis software which we were going to
distribute to our customer base. This would have given Apple added
visiblity in the important Electronic Design Automation Market. Now we
cannot distribute it since we cannot be sure who will buy or not buy
the hypercard 2.0.

It is strange that Apple's management will make such a crucial
decision undermining it's customer's confidence when they most need
it.
--
  C. Kumar
  Valid Logic Systems, PCB Division, 2 Omni Way

kraig@biostr.biostr.washington.edu (Kraig Eno) (09/27/90)

Another opinion for the world to see, here.  I long ago resigned myself to
using h/w and s/w based on what it can do for me now, and largely ignoring
promises about the future.  All that I hear about 2.0 on the technical
front is very promising, and I'd love to get it, but if it's not free, I
don't need it.  I have no use at all for a "runtime" version, since I make
most of my stacks myself for my own purposes.  I'll just keep on using
1.2.5 (unless they've put in a time bomb that will render it useless after
the new version appears), and I think many others will do the same.  Talk
about a waste of effort for the development team!  I think that's what
would cause so much chagrin on their part.

I appreciate Chuq's presence in the discussion here.  I hope his
projections about the availability of scripting in 2.0 are true, but like
so many others, I can't see how Claris could add enough value to make a
"developer version" worth paying for once I get my hands on a full working
version of the program itself.  Certainly, I wouldn't give more than about
$25 for all the debuggers and manuals and examples in the world. Heaven
knows I've done without them up to this point!  :)

Kraig Eno, kraig@biostr.washington.edu
"To Coin a Phrase, I'm Perplexed." -- James Gaskin

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Sep25.211247.21185@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>[...]
>OK, here's what I think about the decision, based on what little I know about
>it: I would begin an earnest search for saboteurs in the upper ranks of Apple
>management.
>
>I say this tongue-in-cheek of course, but I really have to wonder why anyone
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey, don't be too sure.  Maybe Microsoft has corrupted some Apple people.
I wouldn't put anything past the beings that shipped a version of Windows that
didn't let you resize horizontally or tile your windows.
(Or, for that matter, created Word--much as I love it, it's NOT a true
MacProgram, eh?)

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| A mathematician is a professional	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   schizophrenic.--Me.		       	      |

In article <38814@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:

>What I think the right thing to do is to make sure everyone gets a HyperCard
>version which can read, write, create -- just like in the past, and just like
>a pencil. Low cost, functional tool. A run time version is yesterdays
>marketing ideas today, very backwards. HyperCard is very close to the tool
>for doing hyperInfo because anyone can use it and change it. In terms of
Has anybody looked into setting up a newsboard that would contain
stacks? Then you could write a HyperCard-based interface that would access
the net for you (does a stack to read news now exist?), download, & put you
into the stack directly.  (Or, perhaps, with appleEvents, another app could
access the net, & tell HyperCard to open up the downloaded files.)

>This is not directed at Steve Maller, it is directed at the Soda salesman.
>
>Let's send all our empty pepsi cans to Apple in protest.
Huh? (In the first place, why would we have empty PEPSI cans--unless we had
maliciously dumped the gunk out on the ground? In the 2nd, well, basically,
huh?)

>HyperCard was supposed to make the Memex come true.
What's the Memex?

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/05/90)

In article <38814@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>HyperCard was supposed to make the Memex come true.

Oh, please.  Hypercard was supposed to sell Macintoshes.

chaz

       "I Am The Reincarnation of Abraham Lincoln", Insists Prince.
                 			 -spew
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

viking@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Jon W. Backstrom) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct4.175541.17442@midway.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>In article <38814@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>>
>>HyperCard was supposed to make the Memex come true.
>What's the Memex?

This really *bugs* me...HyperCard was *not* supposed to make the memex
come true.  It started as a free-form object-oriented database program
named Wildcard, I believe...hence the WILD creator type for stacks.

The memex was an device envisioned to organize and associatively link
a vast amount of information (microfilm was proposed in this concept,
first ventured by Vannavar Bush in 1945).  Ted Nelson drew from this
concept and coined the term "hypertext" when he concluded that
computers could be used to realize the functionality of Bush's memex.

Just when hypertext and hypermedia became such buzzwords in the late
80's Apple marketing decided to rename WildCard to HyperCard...and
there we are.  HyperCard can do some wonderful things and it can work
for developing certain hypertext/hypermedia documents, but it wasn't
supposed to be a memex.

(...sigh...)

 Jon W. Backstrom             Interactive Multimedia and Electronic Publishing
 Applied Digital Arts
 5601 N. Tunnel Road            Internet: viking@copper.ucs.indiana.edu
 P.O. Box 176                   UUCP: {ames,rutgers,att}!iuvax!copper!viking
 Bloomington, IN  47402-0176    BITNET: viking@iubacs

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (10/06/90)

>>In article <38814@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Thom Gillespie) writes:
>>>
>>>HyperCard was supposed to make the Memex come true.
>>What's the Memex?
>
>This really *bugs* me...HyperCard was *not* supposed to make the memex
>come true.
>The memex was an device envisioned to organize and associatively link
>a vast amount of information (microfilm was proposed in this concept,
>first ventured by Vannavar Bush in 1945).
>Just when hypertext and hypermedia became such buzzwords in the late
>80's Apple marketing decided to rename WildCard to HyperCard...and
>there we are.  HyperCard can do some wonderful things and it can work
>for developing certain hypertext/hypermedia documents, but it wasn't
>supposed to be a memex.
>
>(...sigh...)
> Jon W. Backstrom             Interactive Multimedia and Electronic Publishing

A couple of corections Jon. Aple marketing didn't decide to rename WildCard to
HyperCard, they had to since there was already a product on the market which
used the name Wildcard. I think it was a firmware board for the Apple 2 to
defeat copy protection.

It's true that "...HyperCard was *not* supposed to make the memex come true" but
there is an obvious historical line of development from Bush's Memex thru
the Augment system, the hypertext/media concept, the Dynabook, to HyperCard.
All this development is to organize information: visual, aural, textual, etc in
a way that has some cognitive fidelity to the way people think -- remember
Bush's article in the Atlantic Monthly [ As we may think, July 1945, 101-108 ]
was a reaction to the death and destruction of World War 2 -- people don't
think like Library of Congress subject headings of ISBNs, we associate things
in strange fashion: size, color, time, smell. Bush had no idea how this was
going to work anymore than he had any idea of the media which would be used. He
used microfilm because that was the 'current' technology in 1945.

If you hook up a a color mac with Mac Recorder, a flat bed scanner, a laser
disk, a worm drive, and HyperCard to provide the associative link-to-ness then
you have a working version of the Memex. The only thing missing are the direct
brain links...next year maybe :->

Stop s-i-g-h-i-n-g Jon

--Thom Gillespie