[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Claris just doesn't get it

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (09/29/90)

Whoa.  Claris didn't sneak HyperCard 2.0 out of Apple headquarters in the dead
of night.  Apple asked Claris to handle the distribution.  I put my money on
Apple as the ones who have lost the vision of a program so neat that thousands
of talented people would write and distribute freely some of the best
programming available today - Xcmds and Xfcns!

I classify the confusion surrounding HC 2.0's release under the old heading
"POISONING THE WELL," since, no matter what the outcome of this sorry affair,
many  people will never hear the end of the story.  They will be left with the
impression that Apple has "taken away" something from us.  Too bad -- sorry
Apple, you failed your marketing 101!

andy@gistdev.gist.com (Andy Warinner) (09/29/90)

As I have been following the great HC 2.0/Claris debate, I have been
swinging between rage and sullen mollification, ending up in cynicism
skepticism.  It seems that Claris is talking out both sides of their
mouth.  First, some Claris marketing exec says:

>	The bundled version. however, won't give users access to the
>scripting features in HyperCard's user Level 5, which means users
>won't be able to reprogram stacks, according to a Claris spokeswoman.
>	The audience for the authoring version will be commercial and
>corporate in-house programmers and multimedia developers, according to
>John Zeisler, Claris marketing vice president.

This provokes understandable rage.  Then someone else from Claris says:

>Here is the latest word (paraphrased) from Mike Holm, Claris HyperCard
>Product Manager, as expressed in an online conversation Wednesday evening
>26-Sep on CompuServe:
>
>Beginning Real Soon Now, every new Macintosh CPU will contain one
>HyperCard disk, including the *FULL* HyperCard 2.0 application, a very
>simple Home stack with the buttons for Authoring, Painting and Scripting
>disabled, and Address stack, an Appointments stack, maybe another stack or
>two, and a 30-page (or so) welcome to HyperCard book/brochure. The reason
>given by the people who made the decision for the disabling of the
>userlevels above #2 is that they wanted to keep naive users from
>accidentally destroying their stacks. An experienced HyperCard user will
>notice that there is just an opaque button hiding the other userlevel
>selections.

This pronouncement comforts me somewhat.  But my final conclusion is that
CLARIS JUST DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE HYPERCARD PHILOSOPHY.  A lot of people
embraced the HyperCard philosophy of open software and empowering users.
Yet Claris has trampled on that philosophy by reintroducing the
distinction between users (who have to be prevented "from accidentally
destroying their stacks", shades of "1984" anyone?) and developers ("The
audience for the authoring version will be commercial and corporate
in-house programmers and multimedia developers").  HyperCard was supposed
to eliminate this division.  And HyperCard was supposedly so central to
the Apple philosophy that it was designated system software, unlike the
original MacPaint/MacWrite.

Whatever the real distinctions there are between the bundled version
and the authoring version of HyperCard,  Apple and Claris have gone a long
way towards destroying and confusing the philosophy of HyperCard that
Apple has worked so hard to promote.  The result will be a lot less people
willing to take the big leap of putting HyperCard to work for them.

Andrew Warinner | "Semper ubi sub ubi" - J. Caesar
GIST, Inc.      |
Standard        | EMAIL:  andy@gistdev.gist.com
disclaimer...   |         {uunet, uiucuxc}!gistdev!andy

kf@mbunix.mitre.org (Fong) (10/02/90)

Let's see if we can be positive about this Hypercard 2.0 thing.  I think Apple
does have a clear vision of what it is doing with Claris and as long as a
scriptable version of Hypercard is bundled with every Mac, I disagree that
letting Claris have Hypercard is a bad idea.  I do agree though that the way
this process has been handled has been horrendous (from a PR point of view).
But let's look at the history:

1. The press release said "a complete Hypercard 2.0 authoring system" will be
sold by Claris.  The key word might be "complete" rather than "authoring".
Would you say that Hypercard 1.2.5 has a "complete" authoring system?  Who
hasn't bought some book or software (stacks, xcmds) in order to do serious
authoring or scripting?  I'll agree that Hypercard 1.2.5 clearly has a basic
and capable authoring system, but not complete.  It even lacks a basic
reference for the Hypertalk language.  (And remember that the original bundled
Hypercard had no intro to scripting manual, just the users guide.)

2. Apple has always been a systems vendor, in other words, a box supplier.
Its lack of customer support, except through dealers, who mainly "support"
hardware, is an indication of this fact.  End-user software has always been an
unsupported afterthought.  Apple produces end-user software to implement some
neat idea, but then has taken forever or never (no offense to any Apple
employees) to improve upon the original concept.  Examples, you say, well here
are some examples:
	MacWrite: minor feature improvements over four years
	MacPaint: can we say almost never?
	MacDraw: can we say bug-fix?
	MacTerminal: what version is this at now?  is it still "supported"?
	Finder: does your finder (not system) do much more than version 1.0?
	       haven't we been complaining about lack of user-interface
	       features and improvements?
	MacProject, AppleShare, Apple File Exchange, Font/DA Mover, etc.
Although MPW and MacApp donUt suffer from the no upgrade syndrome (probably
because they are used internally at Apple), they do suffer from no marketing
or support (for non-Partners/Associates).  When HC 2.0 arrives, hopefully, it
will be the exception to this pattern.  Claris has the resources for software
improvements (see next point), Apple doesn't (except for underlying system
software).  When Apple made Claris a wholly-owned subsidiary, Apple recognized
the present economic situation and moved towards making itself a software
vendor as well (thereby upsetting and putting fear third-party software
vendors; although upsetting third parties is not a good thing).  Most analysts
agree (and the stock market and income statements reflect this) that hardware
vendors are in for lean times, but that software vendors will do fine over the
next year.

3. Claris has been a software vendor and has provided software support for all
Claris products, i.e, a newsletter informing you of upgrades with tips, and
telephone support.  Has Apple ever provided you with customer (not developer)
support for software, especially for Hypercard?  Has Apple ever informed you
about any software upgrade (there weren't any upgrades, right?) ?  Other than
hardware "support" through dealers, Apple provides support only to developers
who pay and qualify.  I believe Claris can and will develop more
Hypercard-based products, extending the reach of Hypercard (see point 5).  As
long as it is bundled and assuming that key HC team members move over to
Claris, I will be glad that the Claris subsidiary is working on Hypercard.
And I will expect greater improvements in a shorter time...

4. Apple has its hands full developing basic system software (like the
"first-half 1991" System 7.0).  With much more work to do with all those neat
things that didn't make it into System 7.0 (the wish list: protected memory
multitasking, AppleEvents and AppleScript, more QuickDraw/TrueType/PostScript
development stuff with Adobe, QuickTime (video/animation standards), new print
architecture, Apple help system, document compression, ISDN), and seemingly
greater commitment to A/UX (Apple joined UNIX International and OSF), it's
believable that Apple's software resources will be committed only to basic
system software development (with no end-user support, as usual).

5. Claris is considering creating an Extended System Software (ESS) group that
will handle Hypercard 2.0,  AppleShare (rumored-to-be-transferred), and
AppleMail (basic mail system known-to-be-in-development but never announced).
All of this software is (or will be) provided directly to end users/network
administrators.  I believe the aim of this group would be to apply the
software technology to new markets.  For example, Claris could develop
executive information systems, computer-based training systems, and groupware
software using a combination of HC/AppleShare/AppleMail.  Claris is better at
marketing and supporting application products than Apple.

So this is what I hope the real Hypercard situation is:

Hypercard 2.0 will be bundled with the Macs in the same way that it is now
(possibly minus the Intro to Scripting guide that wasn't originally included
anyway).  As in the past, it will come with additional stacks providing
various productivity tools, a Help stack, and a Hypercard User's Manual.  It
will come out of the box set for the paint level.  Authoring and scripting
levels will be available.  Customer support will be as it is now, namely,
none.

Hypercard 2.0, Developer's version will be sold separately by Claris.  It will
include everything in the bundled version (in other words, the exact same
Hypercard 2.0 application).  In addition, it will include a scripting manual
(stack), hypertalk reference manual (stack), xcmd/xfcn manual.  It will
include an additional debugger, serial port and communications control tools,
interfaces to Think and MPW, and additional examples and tools such as those
found in third-party development stacks or on Apple's CD-ROM developer disks.
It will also include a one-year subscription to Hypercard Technical Notes and
some level of developer support from a Claris Hypercard developer support
team.

From the Apple press releases about Hypercard 2.0 and Claris, there is nothing
that says the above isn't true.  So I will keep my fingers crossed.  (And when
all of this turns out to be wrong, you can yell at me later and say I told you
so  :(.  )

But come on, let's try to be a little more positive even though Apple messed
up by making this more mysterious and confusing than it should've been...

OKAY, OKAY...APPLE EXECUTIVES, MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE THAT SCRIPT EDITOR XCMD
WITH THE BUNDLED VERSION OF HYPERCARD!!!

Kevin Fong
A Hypercard user and Apple observer
MITRE Corporation
Standard disclaimer

maller@applelink@apple.com (Steve Maller) (10/09/90)

In article <121797@linus.mitre.org> kf@mbunix.mitre.org (Fong) writes:
> Let's see if we can be positive about this Hypercard 2.0 thing...

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I have taken the liberty of
forwarding your comments on to some of our managers.

Steve Maller
HyperCard Engineering Team
Apple Computer
I speak solely for myself in these matters