[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HC2 -> HC1 converter?

gilbertd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (10/07/90)

I guess the answer to that is NO, but if anyone knows of
plans for a version 2 to version 1 converter for Hypercard
please let me know.

I don't think I can work in vers 1 any more, the new script editor
and debugging are too good, even if I keep the features in the HC 1
range.  Many/most users of my stacks will have HC 1 for the forseable
future (6-12 months or longer).  There is a lot of inertia in science
software.  Think of the guy in Podunk or other out of the way place
who hasn't had any commercial or system software updates since he got
his mac a few years back, but can get my stacks 'cause they're
distributed free over the network. Even many users at Hitek U. will
take a while to get upgrades.
-- Don

Don.Gilbert@Iubio.Bio.Indiana.Edu
biocomputing office, indiana univ., bloomington, in 47405, usa

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (10/08/90)

Don Gilbert:
|I guess the answer to that is NO, but if anyone knows of
|plans for a version 2 to version 1 converter for Hypercard
|please let me know.

About the only solution is the Clipboard. I admit, it's a pretty
cheezy solution. Maybe when some of those stack dump utilities get
working properly on both platforms you might be able to do that.

bill coderre
this gun's for hire

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (10/09/90)

In article <45444@apple.Apple.COM> bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) writes:
> Don Gilbert:
> |I guess the answer to that is NO, but if anyone knows of
> |plans for a version 2 to version 1 converter for Hypercard
> |please let me know.
>
> About the only solution is the Clipboard. I admit, it's a pretty
> cheezy solution. Maybe when some of those stack dump utilities get
> working properly on both platforms you might be able to do that.

Sorry, the clipboard format of HyperCard 2.0 cards is different from plain
old 1.x cards. I would _not_ recommend trying this (can you spell
ka-boom?). HC 2.0 does handle detecting and converting a 1.x clipboard
card though.

Martin Gannholm
HyperCard 2.0 Engineer
Apple Computer

Exclaimer!!!   I typed this myself = I speak for myself...