[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperHell

schwerin@milton.u.washington.edu (Stan Schwerin) (09/28/90)

HYPERHELL

Before I begin, I wish to explain that I do not like
bashing Apple policies. Everyone in the industry
particularly MacLeak believes they can run Apple better
then Sculley.  The fact that users can (or think they
can) suggest better ways to run Apple is itself a
tribute to Apple.  Yes Apple is unique and so is
HyperCard.  Let's keep it that way.

Boy, I used to think HyperCard was the best thing in the
world.  Bill Atkinson was a god in my eyes.  He created
an incredible product, made it a part of the Mac system
software and shipped it with every Mac sold.  This
embodied the spirit of the Macintosh and Apple.   Now I
read an Apple press release stating some kind of limited
version will be shipped  with the Macintosh and the
complete  version will be a product sold by Claris.  I
was under the impression that HyperCard was Rsystem
softwareS.  When we buy a Mac it is not for the box, but
for the great Rsystem softwareS.  LetUs keep the Rsystem
software complete!

HyperCard is so unique that it still defies description.
Why must Apple try to beat it into submission as just
another software product?

The Apple/Claris plan is  a slap not only in users face,
but also in Bill Atkinson's face.  I intend to fight it
to the death, and  I hope Bill does the same.

Until I read that Apple Press release, I was a happy
person.  Now I can only mop around in a depressed state
of confusion.  I used to think Apple was on my side.
Bill Atkinson, please do something!  Restore my faith in
HyperCard and Apple.

Yo
  \
   Yo dude

Stan Schwerin
University of Washington
Academic Services
Microcomputer Manager
(206)543-6114
AppleLink:  SCHWERIN1
Internet:  schwerin@milton.u.washington.edu

beard@ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) (09/28/90)

In article <8211@milton.u.washington.edu> schwerin@milton.u.washington.edu (Stan Schwerin) writes:
#HYPERHELL
#
#Boy, I used to think HyperCard was the best thing in the
#world.
[...]
#Now I
#read an Apple press release stating some kind of limited
#version will be shipped  with the Macintosh and the
#complete  version will be a product sold by Claris.
[...]
#HyperCard is so unique that it still defies description.
#Why must Apple try to beat it into submission as just
#another software product?
#
#The Apple/Claris plan is  a slap not only in users face,
#but also in Bill Atkinson's face.  I intend to fight it
#to the death, and  I hope Bill does the same.

I agree with you!  Hypercard 2.0 should be available to all Macintosh
users!  Is Apple trying to recoup its engineering costs on system software?
It's the system software that sells Macintoshes.  Not the other way
around.  Make Hypercard 2.0 free!

By the way, does anybody know where I can get the final HC 2.0 XCMD
libraries and interfaces?

-  Patrick Beard, Macintosh Programmer                        (beard@lbl.gov) -
-  Berkeley Systems, Inc.  ".......<dead air>.......Good day!" - Paul Harvey  -

Chris.Parson@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chris Parson) (10/01/90)

        Bill promised to support HyperCard for two years after it's
release, and won some sort of an agreement that it would be FREE.
However, Bill seems to have finally gone on to other things ( with Andy
Hertzfeld ), so I guess the agreement has expired?
        In any case, Apple seems to have decided to "commercialize"
HyperCard, which I really don't feel is a bad idea.  After all, HC has
considerable and growing competition from several other commercial
products.  How much resources would Apple commit to a product that
generates NO REVENUE?  I don't know one person who bought a Mac
specifically because it comes with HC.  I hope this move will give us an
ever more powerful HC, and I don't mind spending a few bucks to get it.
Apple seems committed to continuing to distribute a "run time" version
with Macs, so EVERYONE will still be able to run stacks.

--
Chris Parson via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!Chris.Parson

n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (10/07/90)

In article <76023.270B6EFE@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>, Chris.Parson@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chris Parson) wri HyperCard, which I really don't feel is a bad idea.  After all, HC has

> products.  How much resources would Apple commit to a product that
> generates NO REVENUE?  I don't know one person who bought a Mac
> specifically because it comes with HC. >
> --

Well, you can count me as one. Hypercard sold me my first Mac Plus, and I
seem to have been paying Apple ever since. I'm currently on my third Mac -
at last count this "free" software has cost me over A$10,000.

Neale Hays.

jgsmith@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (James G. Smith) (10/15/90)

I bought the books on HyperCard before I had access to a mac.  When I gained
access, I bought more books.  And when I couldn't take it any longer, I
borrowed money from home and bought my own mac.  HyperCard is about the only
software I use on it.

*