[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HC 1.2.x or HC 2.0? Is 1.2.x dead?

osmigo@ut-emx.uucp (rn) (10/13/90)

Some people I know, professional programmers, say that if you're just
starting out learning about HC scripting, don't waste time learning 1.2.X,
since 2.0 is now out. Do you agree with this? Is somebody who goes out and
spends $50 on 1.2.X HyperTalk books throwing money down the drain?

Ron Morgan
osmigo@emx.utexas.edu

krona@nada.kth.se (Kjell Krona) (10/16/90)

Yes, I think so. HyperTalk is really improved in version 2.0
(though some might prefere to call it "a lot of bugs fixed)

Some highlights:

The order in which certain messages are sent is really changed
for the better. For example, "openstack" is now sent before
"opencard" to a newly opened stack; "newcard" is sent before
"opencard" when a new card is created, and so on. Some of the
old message orders created a need for massive cludges, which
are gone now.

You can have fields in which the content is permanent for
every field in the background (for instance for headings
and displaying "number of cards"); and buttons which have
an individual highlight value for each card (mostly check-
box buttons). The previous absence of these features did
also require massive (and time-consuming in execution)
scripting.

Many more commands can now be applied for cards on the
same background (for example, sorting); and cards can
be "marked", during a search for instance, and easily
printed.

These are just some improvements which will be visible
even for a beginner in HyperTalk scripting - and which
will make many ideas possible to realize with a lot less
effort, especially for a beginner but also for experienced
scripters. Thank you very much, HyperCard team!

kjell
krona@nada.kth.se (Kjell Krona)
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden

kamins@well.sf.ca.us (Scot Kamins) (10/16/90)

In article <38218@ut-emx.uucp> osmigo@ut-emx.uucp (rn) writes:
>Some people I know, professional programmers, say that if you're just
>starting out learning about HC scripting, don't waste time learning 1.2.X,
>since 2.0 is now out. Do you agree with this? Is somebody who goes out and
>spends $50 on 1.2.X HyperTalk books throwing money down the drain?
>
>Ron Morgan
>osmigo@emx.utexas.edu

All the 2.0 books from Banatm Electronic Press cover both 1.2.x and 2.0.
This includes the Danny Goodman piece, plus the two books by Winler et. al.,
"Cooking with HyperTalk" and "HyperTalk 2.0: The Book."

True Confession Time:  This note a bit self serving; I'm the co-author of the
last-mentioned book.   :-}

Scot Kamins