[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Formal Definition of Hypertalk

EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges) (10/11/90)

I have two related questions as to (gack! neep!) Hypertalk considered
as a (geeble!) programming language.

     1.  How's the standardization effort?

     2.  Does anybody have a Backus-Naur and/or yacc definition of
         the language that they can share with me.

jk3t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan King) (10/11/90)

EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges) writes:
> I have two related questions as to (gack! neep!) Hypertalk considered
> as a (geeble!) programming language.

(Geeble!) wins the prize for weirdest adjective of the week.

>      1.  How's the standardization effort?

Standardization?  For an embedded language appearing on a single platform?

>      2.  Does anybody have a Backus-Naur and/or yacc definition of
>          the language that they can share with me.

For this (and many other fascinating details) you should run out and
get the new HyperTalk book by Winkler and Kamins (published by
Bantam).  My copy isn't handy right at this moment, so I can't give
you the ISBN.

jking

dlugose@uncecs.edu (Dan Dlugose) (10/11/90)

In article <11858@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>I have two related questions as to (gack! neep!) Hypertalk considered
>as a (geeble!) programming language.
>
>     1.  How's the standardization effort?
>
>     2.  Does anybody have a Backus-Naur and/or yacc definition of
>         the language that they can share with me.

Appendix H of Winkler & Kamins, Hypertalk 2.0:  The Book is the complete
syntax of HyperTalk 2.0, except as modified in Appendix I, "Late
Breaking News."  BNF is used. (But =  instead of ::= )

I wish I had this on disk.

Dan Dlugose
UNC Educational Computing Service
--
Dan Dlugose
Internet: dlugose@uncecs.edu

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (10/11/90)

In article <11858@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>     1.  How's the standardization effort?

Standardization? Of a language that exists in only one implementation? Uh...

>     2.  Does anybody have a Backus-Naur and/or yacc definition of
>         the language that they can share with me.

*HyperTalk 2.0: The Book* (ISBN 0-553-34737-3) has a railroad-car syntax
description of HyperTalk 1.2 and 2.0. I haven't gone over it, but since
one of the co-authors of the book is the designer of HyperTalk, I assume
it's accurate & complete :-)
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (10/11/90)

-- ongoing thread --

>> I have two related questions as to (gack! neep!) Hypertalk considered
>> as a (geeble!) programming language.
>
>(Geeble!) wins the prize for weirdest adjective of the week.
>
>>      1.  How's the standardization effort?
>
>Standardization?  For an embedded language appearing on a single platform?

IMHO, standardization (insofar as possible) for XCMD's, scripting, and
macro generation should be addressed ASAP by a standards committee composed
of developers who employ 'embedded' language features in their applications.

One of the regrettable aspects of the proliferation of scripting is that
when an individual developer implements a proprietary 'meta-language', or
merely adds a new feature to an existing one, ideas are effectively taken
out of circulation.  In order to incorporate similar features in another
scripting language, a new (or thinly disguised) syntax must be employed.
Of course, the command "on openStack" will never have a meaning within
a White Knight script; loop syntax, however, could be made nearly consistent
for many scripting situations.

The time to discuss *OPEN* standards for scripting language development is
NOW, while the script-able applications for our favorite 'single platform'
still have distinct advantages which can be used to justify the purchase
of more Macs.  If scripting degenerates into a 'free-for-all', Apple
stands to lose the competitive advantage it has built through Hypercard
development, and *we* end up learning 10 different scripting languages,
with exasperating and largely cosmetic differences.

My 'geeble' two cents...Bill Johnston (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
Bill Johnston; 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

kamins@wet.UUCP (Scot Kamins) (10/13/90)

In article <11858@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>I have two related questions as to (gack! neep!) Hypertalk considered
>as a (geeble!) programming language.
>

>     1.  How's the standardization effort?
>
>     2.  Does anybody have a Backus-Naur and/or yacc definition of
>         the language that they can share with me.

1.  What do you mean?  There aren't various versions of the language.
Unless you mean differences between 1.# and 2.0.  I can tell you that the
language is backward compatible with itself.
2.  The complete syntax of the language (both versions 1.# and 2.0) appears
in formal form in "Hypertalk 2.0: The Book" by Winkler (the author of the
language) and Kamins (some other guy with a Loose Quille).
:-}

jamesth@microsoft.UUCP (James THIELE) (10/17/90)

In article <45569@apple.Apple.COM> jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes:
|*HyperTalk 2.0: The Book* (ISBN 0-553-34737-3) has a railroad-car syntax
|description of HyperTalk 1.2 and 2.0. I haven't gone over it, but since
|one of the co-authors of the book is the designer of HyperTalk, I assume
|it's accurate & complete :-)

It is an incomplete BNF, in the sense that not all the syntactic
classes/nonterminals are expanded/referenced.  What I'm trying to
type is that the top and bottom level are good, but it breaks down
in the middle.  In yet another way, don't expect to transliterate
it directly into your favorite parser generator without some massaging.

Hope this helps, but perhaps it obscures,
James Thiele -- microsoft!jamesth