[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Control Z

englfz@jetson.uh.edu (10/16/90)

I downloaded this nifty stack which let's me work on the university's
mainframes via HyperCard.  This could turn into an incredibly powerful
tool for the computer-phobic faculty and administrators on campus -
BUT I can't figure out how to get HyperCard to recognize a <CNTRL-Z> and
pass it to the mainframe.  Without that, the whole thing is probably
useless.  HyperCard treats a field or message box with  <CNTRL-Z> in
it as empty.

My question is -- How can get this to work?  Maybe via NumToChar or
something?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS  I'm dealing with 1.2.5, but hopefully version 2.0 will come my way
soon.

 Ed Gibler                              University of Houston
 ENGLFZ@JETSON.uh.edu                English Computer Writing Lab

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (10/17/90)

In article <7220.271acac0@jetson.uh.edu> englfz@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>I can't figure out how to get HyperCard to recognize a <CNTRL-Z> and
>pass it to the mainframe.  Without that, the whole thing is probably
>useless.  HyperCard treats a field or message box with  <CNTRL-Z> in
>it as empty.

I'm not completely sure I understand what the problem is, but this
should work:

  on controlKey theKey
    if theKey is 26 then -- control-Z was typed
      sendSerial numToChar(26) -- or however you're sending characters
    else pass controlKey
  end controlKey

The controlKey message is sent whether or not a field is currently
open for editing.
--
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a