[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] System 6.0.7 vs. Hypercard 1.2.5

hal@krishna.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) (10/18/90)

The ReadMe file on the System Tools 6.0.7 disk includes the amazing
statement:

	You must use HyperCard 2.0 with System Software 6.0.7.
	Hypercard 1.2.5 or any earlier version is not compatible with
	System Software 6.0.7.

What's the deal here?  Why does HyperCard 1.2.5 work with System 6.0.5
but not with 6.0.7?  So much for upward compatability.

Hal Perkins                hal@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS

phaedrus@milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Phaedrus) (10/18/90)

In article <47242@cornell.UUCP> hal@cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) writes:
>The ReadMe file on the System Tools 6.0.7 disk includes the amazing
>statement:

>	You must use HyperCard 2.0 with System Software 6.0.7.
>	Hypercard 1.2.5 or any earlier version is not compatible with
>	System Software 6.0.7.

>What's the deal here?  Why does HyperCard 1.2.5 work with System 6.0.5
>but not with 6.0.7?  So much for upward compatability.

     More to the immediate point, don't the folks at Apple (who-I-like-very-
much-so-don't-take-this-as-a-flame-thank-you-very-much) see a bit of a
problem in making a system release available on their ftp site that breaks
what until recently was considered a fundamental part of system software,
without making the upgraded version of that part of system software available
as well?

     I installed it and (briefly) liked the new features, but had to go back
to 6.0.5; my whole computing environment revolves around HC...

     (Sigh.  I wish I had time to go to user group meetings... :) )--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.
   "If you can keep your head while those about you are losing theirs,
      consider an exciting career as a guillotine operator!"

rodneys@Apple.COM (Rodney Somerstein) (10/18/90)

In article <47242@cornell.UUCP> hal@cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) writes:
>The ReadMe file on the System Tools 6.0.7 disk includes the amazing
>statement:
>
>	You must use HyperCard 2.0 with System Software 6.0.7.
>	Hypercard 1.2.5 or any earlier version is not compatible with
>	System Software 6.0.7.
>
>What's the deal here?  Why does HyperCard 1.2.5 work with System 6.0.5
>but not with 6.0.7?  So much for upward compatability.

The reason for that statement is that System 6.0.7 uses the System 7.0 Sound Manager,
which HyperCard 1.2.5 is incompatible with.  You can still run HyperCard 1.2.5
if you turn off the sound in the control panel before launching HyperCard.

-Rodney

Rodney Somerstein
rodneys@apple.com
CIS: 73167,2165
AppleLink: SOMERSTEIN1

kulp@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeff Kulp x2174) (10/18/90)

We installed Sys607 yesterday on a 2cx.  Hypercard 1.2.5 comes up
and seems to run correctly (so far).  What is the conflict?

Jeff Kulp
kulp@cs.nps.navy.mil

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (10/19/90)

In article <1552@cs.nps.navy.mil> kulp@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeff Kulp x2174) writes:
>We installed Sys607 yesterday on a 2cx.  Hypercard 1.2.5 comes up
>and seems to run correctly (so far).  What is the conflict?

Hope it's not that Apple is trying to make us buy the upgrade to HC2.
That would be mean.  Sounds unlikely, doesn't it?

About as unlikely as transferring HC to Claris.

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| A mathematician is a professional	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   schizophrenic.--Me.		       	      |

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (10/19/90)

In article <47242@cornell.UUCP> hal@krishna.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins)
writes:
> What's the deal here?  Why does HyperCard 1.2.5 work with System 6.0.5
> but not with 6.0.7?  So much for upward compatability.

Sound, sound, sound...the sound manager in System 6.0.7 is (supposedly)
the same as the one that will appear in System 7.0.
  This sound manager changed a lot of eh, shall we say features, of the
sound stuff that HyperCard 1.2.5 relied on thus breaking the sound code in
1.2.5.

There may be other problems as well, but this is certainly the "show
stopper". If you want to _try_ to use the 1.2.5/6.0.7 combination (it's a
free world, right?) I would strongly suggest putting "on beep...end beep"
and "on play...end play" handlers into your home stack.
  I have no idea if this will work, but if you _don't_, I'm pretty sure it
won't.

Martin Gannholm
Apple Computer

Exclaimer!!!   I typed this myself = I speak for myself...
..or..I never said it...Nobody heard me say it...You can't prove anything!

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (10/19/90)

In article <1552@cs.nps.navy.mil> kulp@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeff Kulp x2174) writes:
>We installed Sys607 yesterday on a 2cx.  Hypercard 1.2.5 comes up
>and seems to run correctly (so far).  What is the conflict?

  Yes, what is the conflict?  I've been running HC 1.2.5 on System 7.0a9,
which incorporates almost all of the major changes of System 6.0.7, with no
problem for months.  Futhermore, 6.0.7 also causes no difficulty.

  Maybe they just say that because they think you should upgrade.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *