[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] What's memory requirement for compacting?

dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham) (10/20/90)

An idle question: what's the memory requirement for compacting stacks?
I'm trying to compact a stack weighing in at 998K with 96K freesize;
I'm showing about 1300K free memory, and I'm getting an error message
saying "Unable to compact stack." I can't find any explanations of
this message in my HC library, but am assuming it's probably a low
memory situation. A stack measuring over 700K compacted OK, but this
one and larger ones bring up the same error.

--
   St John's, NF				(709)737-4000	(Fax)
   CANADA A1B 3X9

borton@garnet.berkeley.edu (Chris "Johann" Borton) (10/21/90)

In article <147434@kean.ucs.mun.ca> dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham) writes:
>An idle question: what's the memory requirement for compacting stacks?
>I'm trying to compact a stack weighing in at 998K with 96K freesize;
>I'm showing about 1300K free memory, and I'm getting an error message
>saying "Unable to compact stack." I can't find any explanations of
>this message in my HC library, but am assuming it's probably a low
>memory situation. A stack measuring over 700K compacted OK, but this
>one and larger ones bring up the same error.

You neglected to mention if you had enough disk space for the compaction.
HyperCard requires enough space on the disk to write out the compacted stack
before deleting the old stack.  I'm not sure what RAM requirements it has...

-cbb
borton@garnet.berkeley.edu * Ph.D. student, UC Berkeley School of Education

dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham) (10/24/90)

Graham) writes:
>>An idle question: what's the memory requirement for compacting stacks?
>>I'm trying to compact a stack weighing in at 998K with 96K freesize;
>>I'm showing about 1300K free memory, and I'm getting an error message
>>saying "Unable to compact stack." I can't find any explanations of
>>this message in my HC library, but am assuming it's probably a low
>>memory situation. A stack measuring over 700K compacted OK, but this
>>one and larger ones bring up the same error.
>
> You neglected to mention if you had enough disk space for the compaction.
> HyperCard requires enough space on the disk to write out the compacted stack
> before deleting the old stack.  I'm not sure what RAM requirements it has...

Sorry, forgot to mention this, though I was aware of it. I'm running
HC 1.2.5 (I think) from an 80meg drive with about 40 megs of free
space on it, so I disk space shouldn't be a problem. I definitely
think it's a RAM problem.

   David Graham					dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca