[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Unexpected error 5455 occured, Sorry?!?!?

mckay@ecn.purdue.edu (Dwight D. McKay) (10/25/90)

I have a 800K+ stack which have been adding cards to over a period of
time.  It acts as a sort of log file.

I tried using "find" to search through it today and got a dialog bix which
read:

         Unexpected error #5455 occured.

It had just one button labeled, "sorry".  Clicking on it *exits* from
HyperCard.

I've flipped through some of the cards in the stack and they look OK.

Questions:

     1) Can this problem be fixed?  I've replaced HyperCard itself from
backup, but I'd like to recover as much of the data in this stack as I can
as I don't know how long ago it was damaged and my most recent backup
seems to have the same problems.

     2) How I can check to find out that a stack is damaged before I
overwrite a backup of the stack?

-- Dwight D. McKay, Purdue University, Engineering Computer Network
-- mckay@ecn.purdue.edu  --or--  ...rutgers!pur-ee!mckay

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.204918.24815@ecn.purdue.edu> mckay@ecn.purdue.edu
(Dwight D. McKay) writes:
> [ that he has a damaged stack ]
>Questions:
>     1) Can this problem be fixed?

"Unexpected error xxx" generally means that one or more cards or backgrounds
are damaged. You can recover undamaged cards by copying them to a new stack.
Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to delete the damaged objects in
place.

If you cannot open the stack without seeing the error, try typing in
     go card 2 of stack "Broken"
into the message box from another stack. You can keep doing this until
you find an undamaged card.

If you cannot get into the stack at all, using ResEdit (or some other file
utility) to change the file type of a copy of your stack to TEXT will let
you open the stack from within a word processor or text editor. This will
let you salvage scripts and field contents.

>     2) How I can check to find out that a stack is damaged before I
>overwrite a backup of the stack?

Compact the stack. During compaction, the stack's structure is checked.
Compacting your stacks often will help prevent stack corruption.
--
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a