[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Chill Out

ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian Patrick Arnold) (10/02/90)

To everyone fuming mad at Apple and Claris over HyperCard 2.0's release:

THINK.

Let's all have our concerns, but the recent responses by members of THE
HYPERCARD DEVELOPMENT TEAM and of ITS MANAGEMENT have both essentially
said that "the press release and MacWeek were misleading and there's
nothing to worry about".  Dang it, call me a fool, but even with their
disclaimers, I trust these people MUCH more than I do a sheet of paper
with an apple in the corner or a rag like MacLeak.

It's good to be in a camp with so many concerned people and I'm sure
both Claris and Apple appreciate it at one level, but frankly I find
jumping on the bandwagon of mistrust for Apple and Claris to be ignorant
and stupid.  An increasing number of responders didn't have the brains
to figure out there will be only one binary version of HyperCard which
was recently confirmed, so I wonder how effectively these "concerned
individuals" will be able to interpret much else.  It's starting to look
like people will be demanding clarifications on clarifications for a
while and dang it I'd like to see more of us come to our senses, THINK,
give management a little credit, and maybe get on to more worthwhile
problems.  The future of HyperCard is definitely a worthwhile problem,
but it's clear from the HyperCard team itself that most of us ought to
wait for the next official announcement before jumping to any more
conclusions.

I personally look forward to real documentation and real programming
tools from Claris in the $50-100 range.  In the past, I have needed to
plunk down $20-30 for decent HyperTalk books and $50-100 for decent
HyperTalk programming tools, so I can't see what problem I'd have paying
Claris to receive quality support for such an important product that has
never really had quality support extended to developers.  Are so many of
us ignorant enough to forget that HyperCard 1.x.x has never had decent
free documentation, decent free programmer's tools and support?

Does anyone have problems besides "wanna-be-Apple/Claris-managers who
know what's best for all of us" that they'd like to have answered?

- Brian

erich@crash.cts.com (Eric Hicks) (10/02/90)

In article <sb1v=La00UhWA2kPMK@andrew.cmu.edu> ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian Patrick Arnold) writes:

>I personally look forward to real documentation and real programming
>tools from Claris in the $50-100 range.  In the past, I have needed to
>plunk down $20-30 for decent HyperTalk books and $50-100 for decent
>HyperTalk programming tools, so I can't see what problem I'd have paying
>Claris to receive quality support for such an important product that has
>never really had quality support extended to developers.  Are so many of
>us ignorant enough to forget that HyperCard 1.x.x has never had decent
>free documentation, decent free programmer's tools and support?
>
>- Brian

So now you'll spend $50-$100 on Hypercard AND $50-$100 dollars on decent
HyperTalk books/programming tools.  Of course, by that time we'll have
become used to the idea, so we won't kick nearly as much.  It's all a
question of perspective.  Off the subject a bit, I've heard that Bill
Atkinson had a contract signed when he developed HyperCard stating that it
would always be free and bundled with Macs.  (Something to do with Bill no
longer trusting Apple after they went back on their verbal agreement concerning
MacPaint.)  If so, maybe Bill could give Apple a taste of their own medicine,
or at least release the source to HyperCard as Public Domain.  Nah, Bill's too
nice a guy...

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<  UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!erich                 >
<  ARPA: crash!erich@nosc.mil                                  >
<  INET: erich@crash.cts.com                                   >
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (10/03/90)

From article <sb1v=La00UhWA2kPMK@andrew.cmu.edu>, by ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian Patrick Arnold):

> To everyone fuming mad at Apple and Claris over HyperCard 2.0's release:
>
> THINK.
>
> Let's all have our concerns, but the recent responses by members of THE
     Stuff deleted.....
> conclusions.

> Does anyone have problems besides "wanna-be-Apple/Claris-managers who
> know what's best for all of us" that they'd like to have answered?
>
> - Brian
                How much stock do you own?

Seriously, you are right.  All this bickering and backlash just makes
the DOS people smile.  "See, Apple screwed you again...." I can just
hear my brother...

Brians points are good.  If you just want a free bundle of paper (the
old hypercard manuals...) go to a used bookstore and buy something to
read.

ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian Patrick Arnold) (10/04/90)

So, since so many of us feed off of third-hand misinformation, here are
excerpts from this week's MacWeek article on "Apple tries to ease Hyper
anxiety" pseudo-quoting from Mike Holm, HyperCard product manager:

"There are no plans to ship a 'crippled' HyperCard...the binary is the
real thing...the...bundled HyperCard will have the same script editor
and stack-creation functions as the full development tool....  In the
bundled version, however, stack-editing options will be concealed from
users and...only one...disk, containing HyperCard and a few stacks, will
be included....  The decision to hide scripting was made in part because
people in Apple's Instructional Products group were concerned that naive
users would accidentally damage stacks they use if authoring and
scripting capabilities could be activated too easily.  Plans to ship
just one HyperCard disk...were made...before the decision to have Claris
distribute the full version was made....  The Claris-labeled
[development] version will include five disks and about 700 pages of
documentation on HyperCard, stack design and the HyperTalk scripting
language.  Retail pricing for the full [development] version has not
been set, but...[current] HyperCard owners will be able to upgrade for
$49."

Okay, before that, I said:
>I personally look forward to real documentation and real programming
>tools from Claris in the $50-100 range.

Wow I missed it by a buck.

Then Eric Hicks pointed out:
>So now you'll spend $50-$100 on Hypercard AND $50-$100 dollars on
>decent HyperTalk books/programming tools.

Yes and no.  I DO expect to shell out, er, $49 on HyperCard AND decent
documentation/tools, and maybe $25 for a new HyperTalk book.  I have no
illusions that HyperCard 2.0 is much improved and will require me to
invest some more, but $74 IS LESS than the ~$150 I (or my grant) shelled
out on fluffy books and inferior tools for HyperCard 1.2.5.  I DON'T
expect to shell out a penny if I just want to develop with the HyperCard
2.0 application alone (with a stack or two thrown in).  We ought to be
able to upgrade our HyperCard application and Home stack using our own
disk for free, but I for one am considering the developer's upgrade
because it simply makes sense for me.

Eric goes on to say:
>...I've heard that Bill Atkinson had a contract signed when he
>developed HyperCard stating that it would always be free and bundled

The announcement already stated that HyperCard is still being bundled
with Macs.  Maybe the application itself is not totally free for us
anymore, we will see.  Anywhoo, Bill did not play a central role in
HyperCard 2.0's development.  I think the part about Bill threatening to
release the source in the public domain is reaching a little - binary
yes, source no.

In a different post, Rick Brink asks:
>How much stock do you own?

100 @^#$%!* shares.  That doesn't pledge my allegiance to the company
which occasionally does some obviously incredibly brainless and stupid
things (the Iraq situation really sank the stock along with everything
else anyway).  But my foolhardy drive to hang on to their stock
partially represents my high appreciation of the many insanely great
things the company STILL does for us pee-ons.  Despite all the wind
blowing on the net about Apple "continuing to falter" and making bad
decisions, I think HyperCard 2.0 and the positioning of Claris to
develop support tools for it will come to signify some of those insanely
great ideas that still come (er, came) from Apple.  The only blemishes
so far are a horrendous delay in HyperCard 2.0's release and in a
horrendously worded initial press announcement.  The worst potential
blemish involving us I think will have been avoided once the hullabaloo
(I just wanted to spell that) dies down and reality sinks in.

- Brian

kraig@biostr.biostr.washington.edu (Kraig Eno) (10/10/90)

> Does anyone have problems besides "wanna-be-Apple/Claris-managers who
> know what's best for all of us" that they'd like to have answered?

I suppose I would have problems and questions if I had an actual binary to
work with.  I am a user, not a would-be manager, and my question is, how can I get a copy of this software?

Kraig Eno, kraig@biostr.washington.edu
"To Coin a Phrase, I'm Perplexed." -- James Gaskin

laird@slum.MV.COM (Laird Heal) (10/30/90)

In article <sb1v=La00UhWA2kPMK@andrew.cmu.edu> ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian Patrick Arnold) writes:

>To everyone fuming mad at Apple and Claris over HyperCard 2.0's release:

I chilled out the instant I heard it was unbundled.

>[...] it's clear from the HyperCard team itself that most of us ought to
>wait for the next official announcement before jumping to any more
>conclusions.

Do you remember how well Claris supported MacWrite after Apple transferred
it to them?  The Tech Notes on the MacWrite file formats were changed to
refer to Claris, who refused even to provide the information to an Apple
engineer who had to ask the net for copies of the original notes (on MacWrite
2.2 and 4.5).

>I personally look forward to real documentation and real programming
>tools from Claris in the $50-100 range.

I look forward to the day when stuff I might otherwise want to read comes
as a Hypercard 2.0-only stack.  Then I'll trash Hypercard 1.2.5 from my
hard disks.

If Apple expects me to spend money for something that is no more good to me
than to look over some stacks a few others have written, then they should
realize that what they are doing is removing HyperCard as its place as the
lingua franca of Macintosh.  I looked over HyperCard when it came out and
the XFCN interface was not versatile enough for me, but like MacWrite before
it, because everyone had a copy you could transfer files easily.  I did not
buy MacWrite 5.0, and I do not anticipate buying HyperCard 2.0 or accepting
a limited version.
--

Laird Heal	laird@slum.MV.COM	The world is my office.
(Salem, NH)	+1 603 898 1406<-----I charge for opinions, though.