[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard windows in Multifinder

dthomas@portia.Stanford.EDU (thomas) (10/30/90)

 Hyper Dudes (and Nerds),
 I'm having a problem when switching between HC and the finder under
 Multi Finder.
 Contrarilly to what happened with HC 1.2.5, HC 2.0 won't erase its
 open window(s) from the screen when switching from HC to finder.
 In particular, if big enough, they
 hide the disk icons and trash box. I can use the scroll command to
 move the window to the side (or Window Mgr.) but it's a drag (ha!)
 The 'suspended' property doesn't seem to help since
 it needs to be used in a running handler.
 Am I doing something wrong, is it my imagination that something is
 different from HC 1.2.5? Any suggestions? Thanks.
 Dominique THOMAS. e-mail to thomas@luciano.stanford.edu

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (10/31/90)

 What you could do to hide the HC window is to use Multifinder 6.1.b7, witch
contains a "Set aside"-property which hides all windows of the application.

  Read comp.sys.mac.system for a discussion of this special Multifinder. Once
you've got it, you don't want to take it away, but:

     Beware of Installer, my son!
     The CODEs that bite, and the files that replace!

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.021226.20074@portia.Stanford.EDU>
dthomas@portia.Stanford.EDU (thomas) writes:
> Contrarilly to what happened with HC 1.2.5, HC 2.0 won't erase its
>  open window(s) from the screen when switching from HC to finder.

I don't remember that HC 1.x hid its window. Both versions hide their
floating palettes; it may be that you remember that, and didn't notice the
main window hanging around because, under HC 1.x, there was only one such
window and its size was fixed.

System 7.0 (when it appears) and MultiFinder 6.1b9 both have "Hide
Windows" features in their MultiFinder menus. Ask around for MultiFinder
6.1b9 if you want it; it was never officially released by Apple but copies
exist and have been widely used.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

maller@applelink.apple.com (Steve Maller) (10/31/90)

Here's a script that watches out for being switched out under MultiFinder
and makes sure that the card window is hidden for you. Note that this is a
very simle script and it will only hide the *current* card window...

-- place this in your Home Stack script, or add it to your
-- existing idle handlers
on idle
  if the suspended is the visible of the card window
  then set the visible of the card window to (not the suspended)
  pass idle
end idle

Steve Maller
HyperCard Engineering Team
Apple Computer
Disclaimer: My therapist says I am not to be trusted