[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HC 2.0 and 6.07 sound features

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (10/29/90)

  I've got HC 2.0 and System 6.07. With 6.07 we have access to the new sound-
mgr that allows you to copy and paste sounds just like text and pictures.

  A lot of people on the net has said that HC 2.0 uses some of the new
features of the sound-mgr, but what features?

  As far as I could see there is no simple way to paste a sound into a stack
using the clipboard.

  Another thing is that I can't play any of the sounds that I have in the
System file (I've glanced in the big HT 2.0 book by Winkler et al., under the
sound comand they said something about playing sounds placed in the System
file but I could be wrong...).

  So what's wrong and what's right here?

Btw: I'm using a MacPlus

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct29.015205.4030@sics.se> ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:

>  A lot of people on the net has said that HC 2.0 uses some of the new
>features of the [6.0.7] sound-mgr, but what features?

HyperCard, the application, doesn't use any of the new features of the
6.0.7 Sound Manager directly.  However, the Audio Help stack, which comes
with the new CPUs that support sound input, has an XCMD in it that does.
Anyone with a IIsi care to comment?

>  Another thing is that I can't play any of the sounds that I have in the
>System file.

Yup, HyperCard 2.0 doesn't let you play sounds from the System file.  That's
because there's no way to know whether the sound you want to play is the
current beep sound -- and, in our testing, we found it was possible to make
nasty things happen if HyperCard was playing the current beep sound at the
same time that the system wanted to beep.  The only safe way to prevent
those nasty things from happening was to disallow the playing of sounds
from the System file.  Sorry.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Engineer
Apple Computer, Inc.

francis@magrathea.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (10/30/90)

In article <46104@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:
>Yup, HyperCard 2.0 doesn't let you play sounds from the System file.  That's
>because there's no way to know whether the sound you want to play is the
>current beep sound -- and, in our testing, we found it was possible to make
>nasty things happen if HyperCard was playing the current beep sound at the
>same time that the system wanted to beep.  The only safe way to prevent
>those nasty things from happening was to disallow the playing of sounds
>from the System file.  Sorry.

This would seem to be a problem with the system itself, no? If I
write something to play a snd resource, I have to make sure it's not
from the System file.  This means that someone who has a bunch of sounds
he likes can't just keep them in the system & have them accessible to all
programs; so he'd have to duplicate them, which wastes disk space.
Wouldn't it be possible to have the System refuse to try to play the
same sound twice at the same time (you know what I mean)? Or perhaps
it could keep a separate copy of just the current sound--perhaps a bit
wasteful, but not too bad.  You're not likely to want a huge (read:
long & time-consuming) sound as your beep anyway.

(I'm not pointing any fingers at Mr. Calhoun here; I know he's not
with the system people.  That's why I'm cross-posting to c.s.m.system.
Maybe somebody who has input on how the system works will see this.)

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| Non sequiturs make me eat lampshades	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   				       	      |

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (11/01/90)

In <46104@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

>In article <1990Oct29.015205.4030@sics.se> ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
>>
>>  A lot of people on the net has said that HC 2.0 uses some of the new
>>features of the [6.0.7] sound-mgr, but what features?

>HyperCard, the application, doesn't use any of the new features of the
>6.0.7 Sound Manager directly.  However, the Audio Help stack, which comes
>with the new CPUs that support sound input, has an XCMD in it that does.
>Anyone with a IIsi care to comment?

Sure, I will.  The audio pallete does not "come with the new CPUs that
support sound input."  All you get is a card that you can send in to
*receive* the audio pallete.  Allow six to eight weeks for delivery. :-(