[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard 2.0 - it won't work..

osmigo@ut-emx.uucp (rn) (10/29/90)

I've been trying to get HC 2.0 going on my system (SE running 6.0.5, 4 megs
RAM, very few INIT's). It seems to work perfectly, *but* it won't open any
cards or windows! I get the Hypercard menu bar and all the menus, and both seem
to be doing what they're supposed to do when various selections are made, but
the rest of the screen is just the gray background.  Please help.

Ron Morgan
osmigo@emx.utexas.edu

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (10/30/90)

In article <38835@ut-emx.uucp> osmigo@ut-emx.uucp (rn) writes:
>I've been trying to get HC 2.0 going on my system (SE running 6.0.5, 4 megs
>RAM, very few INIT's). It seems to work perfectly, *but* it won't open any
>cards or windows!
>
>Ron Morgan
>osmigo@emx.utexas.edu

This is very strange.  One possibility is that someone set the loc of the
card window to a bizarre value.  HyperCard 2.0 saves the location of
the card window in a stack whenever it changes, and when that stack is
opened again, the card window is moved to the saved location.  It's
pretty smart about monitor size, but if, on a screen that's 512x342,
just as yours is, if the loc of the card window is set to 10000,10000,
then that's where the card window will go, and that's where it will
go the next time that stack is opened on a screen of the same size.

Try typing 'set the loc of card window to 0,0' and then pressing return.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Engineer
Apple Computer, Inc.

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (11/01/90)

In article <46096@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

>This is very strange.  One possibility is that someone set the loc of the
>card window to a bizarre value.  HyperCard 2.0 saves the location of
>the card window in a stack whenever it changes, and when that stack is
>opened again, the card window is moved to the saved location.  It's
>pretty smart about monitor size, but if, on a screen that's 512x342,
>just as yours is, if the loc of the card window is set to 10000,10000,
>then that's where the card window will go, and that's where it will
>go the next time that stack is opened on a screen of the same size.
>
>Try typing 'set the loc of card window to 0,0' and then pressing return.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Kevin Calhoun
>HyperCard Engineer
>Apple Computer, Inc.

This sounds like a bug to me. HIN #6 states something like:

        "When reopening a movable window, check its saved
	position.  If the window is in a position to which the user could
	have dragged it, then leave it there.  If the window can be zoomed
	and was in the zoomed state when it was last closed, put it in the
	zoomed state again.  (Note that the current and previous zoomed states
	are not necessarily the same, since the window may be reopened on a
	different monitor.)  If the window is not in a position to which the
	user could have dragged it, then it must be relocated, so use the
	default location.  However, do not automatically use the default size
	when using the default location; if the entire window would be visible
	using the default location and stored size, then use the stored size."

Why is it that Apple ignores its own rules.

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (11/01/90)

In article <17751@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.UUCP (Matt Mora) writes:
>In article <46096@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:
>>
>>[My description of how HyperCard 2.0 restores the saved location of windows.]
>
>This sounds like a bug to me. HIN #6 states something like:
>
>        "When reopening a movable window, check its saved
>       position.  If the window is in a position to which the user could
>       have dragged it, then leave it there.  If the window can be zoomed
>       and was in the zoomed state when it was last closed, put it in the
>       zoomed state again.  (Note that the current and previous zoomed states
>       are not necessarily the same, since the window may be reopened on a
>       different monitor.)  If the window is not in a position to which the
>       user could have dragged it, then it must be relocated, so use the
>       default location.  However, do not automatically use the default size
>       when using the default location; if the entire window would be visible
>       using the default location and stored size, then use the stored size."
>
>Why is it that Apple ignores its own rules.

In this particular case, if HyperCard 2.0 followed the guidelines to the
letter, you could never view a standard-sized stack (512x342) at its full
size on a 9" monitor, because the window would not be in a position "to
which the user could have dragged it"!  (The titlebar would not be visible.)

In general, with 2.0 we attempted to bring HyperCard into better conformance
with the Human Interface guidelines.  I hope we succeeded.

If you believe that there's a bug in the way we handle windows, please
submit a bug report to SNOWBUG@applelink.apple.com.

In article <46189@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:

>>Why is it that Apple ignores its own rules.

I should have put a smilely in there, sorry.

>In this particular case, if HyperCard 2.0 followed the guidelines to the
>letter, you could never view a standard-sized stack (512x342) at its full
>size on a 9" monitor, because the window would not be in a position "to
>which the user could have dragged it"!  (The titlebar would not be visible.)
>
>In general, with 2.0 we attempted to bring HyperCard into better conformance
>with the Human Interface guidelines.  I hope we succeeded.

Your are right about the title bar but if the window is totally out of
view with any monitors, then UPON STARTUP Hypercard should at least bring
it into view. Now I know that the user might have done that with hypertalk
to keep the window out of view. Does hypercard check to see if the window
is in an active area of the desktop? For example, if I have two monitors and I
move the window off the main monitor on the the second and quit Hypercard.
Now if I run that stack on another machine without two monitors, will
hypercard put the window back on the main screen or does it leave it where the
other monitor was?

>If you believe that there's a bug in the way we handle windows, please
>submit a bug report to SNOWBUG@applelink.apple.com.

I don't think I have the athority to say whether or not that its a bug.

>Kevin Calhoun
>HyperCard Engineer
>Apple Computer, Inc.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was apple bashing.

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (11/01/90)

In article <17766@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) writes:
>  Does hypercard check to see if the window
> is in an active area of the desktop? For example, if I have two monitors
and I
> move the window off the main monitor on the the second and quit
Hypercard.
> Now if I run that stack on another machine without two monitors, will
> hypercard put the window back on the main screen or does it leave it
where the
> other monitor was?

Yes, we record both the window location and the screen configuration into
the stack, so if your screen configuration has changed the next time you
open the stack we make sure the stack is visible on a screen.

Martin Gannholm
HyperCard 2.0 Engineer
Apple Computer

Exclaimer!!!   I typed this myself = I speak for myself...
..or..I never said it...Nobody heard me say it...You can't prove anything!