[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] WHERE is HC 2.0????????

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/20/90)

-----
OK, Claris will be distributing the programmer's HyperCard.

But where is it?  I see lots of messages in this group referring to 2.0, so
obviously _somebody_ has 2.0.  I guess I'm just getting a bit frustrated that
there seems to be fairly wide distribution of 2.0, but as far as I can tell one
can't yet order it.

Or have I missed something and there's a Claris 800 number just waiting to take
my order? :->

Tired of seeing 2.0 messages when I ain't got it,

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct20.051222.15709@midway.uchicago.edu>
gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>OK, Claris will be distributing the programmer's HyperCard.
>
>But where is it?  I see lots of messages in this group referring to
>2.0, so obviously _somebody_ has 2.0.  I guess I'm just getting a bit
>frustrated that there seems to be fairly wide distribution of 2.0,
>but as far as I can tell one can't yet order it.

Claris is not yet taking orders for HyperCard 2.0.  There are
nevertheless two ways you can get it now without documentation.

1) HyperCard 2.0 is available from user groups that have licenses to
distribute it.  You might try contacting the Berkeley Macintosh User
Group or the Boston Computer Society, two well-known user groups that
certainly have such licenses.  Their addresses and phone numbers were
published in the original HyperCard User's Guide, which is now three
years old, so I can't vouch for its currency:

  The Boston Computer Society
  One Center Plaza
  Boston, MA  02108
  (617) 367-8080

  Berkeley Macintosh User Group
  1442-A Walnut Street #62
  Berkeley, CA 94709
  (415) 849-9114

This book also says, on page xxii, "you can call 1-800-538-9696 for
the name, address, and telephone number of up to three Macintosh
user groups in your geographic area."

2) HyperCard 2.0, in its "light" configuration, comes bundled with
the new Macintosh CPUs: the Classic, the LC, and the IIsi.

Kevin Calhoun
HyperCard Engineer and spin-control master
Apple Computer, Inc.
Disclaimer:  I'm on my own here, way out on a limb.

kamins@well.sf.ca.us (Scot Kamins) (10/21/90)

It's my understanding that all user groups, plus lots of universities, have
alreay been sent the upgrae package (read: 5 disks).

So 5 disks and a buddy in a user's group or college...

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (10/23/90)

From article <21264@well.sf.ca.us>, by kamins@well.sf.ca.us (Scot Kamins):

> It's my understanding that all user groups, plus lots of universities, have
> alreay been sent the upgrae package (read: 5 disks).
>
> So 5 disks and a buddy in a user's group or college...

The most important thing for those asailing users groups is, did the group
have the cash to buy the software license agreement last year?  Mine didn't.

The Users Group Connection people have re-negoiated with apple (?) and are
going to offer the license free this year.  So there may be delays in getting
HyperCard 2.0 out to "all" users groups.  They are sending new contracts.
I talked to UGC staff 10/19/90 and they were getting the mailing ready as
they talked to me.

lin@diemen.utas.edu.au (Tony Lim) (11/05/90)

In article <21264@well.sf.ca.us>, kamins@well.sf.ca.us (Scot Kamins) writes:

> It's my understanding that all user groups, plus lots of universities, have
> alreay been sent the upgrae package (read: 5 disks).
>
> So 5 disks and a buddy in a user's group or college...

I have checked the HyperCard 2.0 in our computing center.  It has only two
levels: Browsing and Typing levels.  Can any one tell me where I can get the
version up to scripting level?  Thank you in advance.

Tony Lim

hawkwind@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Wes Lee Sanford) (11/05/90)

In the message box type in "set the userlevel to 5".  This will allow you HyperCard version to act like the scripting version of HyperCard 2.0.  You must type in that command every time you launch HyperCard.  If you have any questions about HyperCard or are having problems let me know.

Wes Sanford
Ball State University
Muncie, Indiana 47304

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (11/05/90)

In <12006@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> hawkwind@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Wes Lee Sanford) writes
(without any EOL, Arrghh!):

>In the message box type in "set the userlevel to 5".  This will allow you
>HyperCard version to act like the scripting version of HyperCard 2.0.
>You must type in that command every time you launch HyperCard.  If you have

  As a good first exercise in HyperTalk: Try to change the home stack so you
don't have to change the userlevel manual on startup. (There are several
ways to do this.)

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (11/05/90)

In article <1830@diemen.utas.edu.au> lin@diemen.utas.edu.au (Tony Lim) writes:
>I have checked the HyperCard 2.0 in our computing center.  It has only two
>levels: Browsing and Typing levels.  Can any one tell me where I can get the
>version up to scripting level?  Thank you in advance.

It sounds as though this is the Home stack that's shipping with the
"HyperCard Lite" package in the box with new Macs. From the preferences
card, type    magic    into the message box and press return. This hides
the opaque button that covers the buttons for userlevels 3-5 in the
lite Home stack. After hiding the button, you'll be able to select
your preferred user level.

If, for whatever reason, the "magic" handler doesn't work, type
"set the userLevel to 5" into the message box, then choose the button
tool and move the opaque button aside/delete it/hide it/whatever.

By the way, the version licensed to user groups to distribute is the
full package, and the Home stack does not lock out the higher userlevels.
The Claris version to ship soon presumably will not have this lockout
either; only the package shipped with new Macs has this -- uh -- feature.

Apple: the only computer company in the world that would bundle software
this good, and then do its best to make sure users won't discover how
good it is. *sigh*
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (11/06/90)

In article <1830@diemen.utas.edu.au> lin@diemen.utas.edu.au (Tony Lim) writes:

>I have checked the HyperCard 2.0 in our computing center.  It has only two
>levels: Browsing and Typing levels.  Can any one tell me where I can get the
>version up to scripting level?  Thank you in advance.
>
>Tony Lim

Go to the last card in the Home Stack and type:  magic<return>
That will enable all 5 levels.  Entering magic again will hide the top 3.
You can look at the card script to see that all there is is a couple of
opaque buttons hiding the ones you want.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.